Duties and Responsibilities
At First Republic, we care about our people. Founded in 1985, we offer extraordinary client service in private banking, private business banking and private wealth management. We believe that personal connections are everything and our success is driven by the relationships we form with our colleagues and clients. You’ll always feel empowered and valued here.
Incredible teams doing exceptional work, every day
In Human Resources, we are committed to growing and protecting First Republic and its culture by attracting, retaining and supporting our most valuable resource: people. Providing our employees with extraordinary service is our commitment; their success is our reward.
You’ll have the opportunity to be a strategic and trusted advisor to assigned business units, executing people and culture strategies, objectives and plans. You will play a key role, working closely with the HR Business Partner Team, Legal, and HR Centers of Excellence (Total Rewards, Talent Acquisition & Development and HR Technology & Operations). As an HR Business Partner, you’ll develop and maintain in-depth understanding of how your internal client groups operate, their strategies, business and resource plans and needs, including the business unit’s financial position, midrange plans and competition. You will expertly align business objectives and needs with people and culture strategies and resources. You will also play a key role in helping ensure First Republic continually enhances our position as a great place to work by partnering with leaders to drive engagement and colleague development. You will be highly focused on talent, supporting leaders to understand their current talent landscape by assessing areas of strength, opportunities, and any gaps and to develop plans to attract, retain and grow talent in their organization. You’ll be a champion of the First Republic DEI strategy, ensuring that DEI is a primary focus of all initiatives.
What you’ll do as an HR Business Partner:
People and Culture Strategy:
- Develop and maintain in-depth understanding of the assigned business unit’s annual and long-range business strategies, plans, objectives, and people and culture needs
- Act as a people and culture champion and change agent
- Develop and cultivate relationships and synergies across our HR Centers of Excellence to design, develop, implement, communicate, and execute core FRB and customized business unit people and culture strategies and programs
- Communicate needs proactively with our HR Centers of Excellence and business leaders and ensure that leaders and teams in your client groups are aware of our HR strategies and plans early to contribute to the direction of these
- Play a lead role in helping your client groups assimilate, implement, and execute key people and culture strategies, practices and programs; including ensuring that appropriate people, communication, education and change management are in place to support people and culture strategy and program delivery
Strategic Business Partnership:
- Continually provide our HR Centers of Excellence with feedback and guidance; provide strategic HR partnership and coordination, and appropriate use of HR operational resources, such as Employee Relations, Benefits, Payroll and HR Administration
- Act as a trusted adviser, coach and consultant to leaders and management in your client groups to improve their leadership capability, team effectiveness, strategic insights and business performance
- Leverage analytics to help your business unit(s) grow, engage, develop and retain talent
- Identify and inform HR Technology & Operations of recurring and/or ad hoc business unit needs for HR analytics, reporting, technology, or other HR operational requirements
- With your manager and other HRBP colleagues, determine and deliver a routine and reliable cadence of HR analytics and insights that help your business unit(s) stay ahead of internal/external people and culture trends and dynamics
- Build and cultivate internal and external relationships to bring value-added insights and services to business leaders, teams and First Republic overall
Talent, Engagement and Inclusion:
- Lead workforce planning for your assigned business unit(s) to create a robust, specific and scalable approach to growing our people and our business
- Work closely with Talent Acquisition & Development, Total Rewards, and business leaders to advocate the Talent agenda; help First Republic remain at a competitive edge; build and promote knowledge and networks of talent across your business unit(s) and more broadly
- Lead or co-lead Talent Management and Succession Planning in your business unit(s); help us ensure a strong pipeline of talent and to address any talent gaps in a timely manner
- Proactively partner with your manager, other HRBP colleagues, and our HR Centers of Excellence to identify, define and lead initiatives that reinforce and strengthen our values and culture, and our ability to attract, engage, develop and retain diverse top talent
What skills you will use:
- Bachelor’s Degree. Advanced Human Resources certification is preferred e.g. Senior Professional Human Resources (SPHR)
- 7+ years’ diverse HR experience in a corporate environment, with significant HR business partnership experience
- Experience with employment based immigration
- People management experience is preferred, including managing and leading other HR practitioners
- Recent experience creating and shaping annual and longer-range HR/people and culture strategies, including helping business units develop and successfully execute against annual and longer-range people and culture roadmaps
- Recent experience working with executive teams on key matters related to people and culture
- Experience influencing stakeholders at varying levels
- Experience in banking or related financial services is strongly preferred.
- Experience implementing employee and manager self-service HR tools and driving successful adoption
- Knowledge of key and current employment legislation
- Strong knowledge of current wage/hour laws
- Full employee and HR lifecycle knowledge (talent acquisition, total rewards, learning, leadership development, talent and succession management, retention, engagement, culture and operations)
- A recognized HR expert with demonstrated success in delivering people and culture strategies that link directly to business drivers, and strengthen company culture and employee engagement
- Working knowledge of enterprise-wide HR systems, as well as demonstrated ability to understand the data structure and effectively translate data and information into valuable business insights
- Understanding of the highly competitive employment environment in the markets where we operate and serve
- Proven leadership skills with demonstrated proactivity and exactness in identifying and addressing key people and culture needs
- Business acumen, including a solid understanding of the intersection between business and people and culture, and the value strategic HR can bring to the organization
- Personal credibility and accountability with a proven record of building trusted relationships with senior business leaders
- Coaching and strategic advisory skills
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills with ability to present a clear and strategic point-of-view to senior management while being able to defend and articulate the thought process and rationale behind recommendations
- Strategic thinker with a proven track record of elevating and evolving business in line with contemporary and best practices
- Communication and consulting skills and ability to get things done
- Proclivity for collaboration and comfortable challenging the status quo
- Proven success working in fluid, high growth, evolving environments
- Expert level Microsoft Office skills, experience with Tableau, effectively using data and storytelling to create easily digestible communication and presentation materials
Own your work and your career — apply now
Are you willing to go the extra mile because you love what you do and how you can contribute as a team? Do you want the freedom to grow and the opportunity to take charge of your own career? If so, then come join us.
We want hard working team players. You’ll have the independence to learn, lead and drive change. A culture of extraordinary service, empowerment and stability — that’s the First Republic way.
We believe that a diverse range of backgrounds and ideas has and will continue to be fundamental to the future success of First Republic.
If you are curious to learn more about this opportunity, we'd love to hear from you.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. The Company is an equal opportunity employer. In this regard, the Company makes reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees with disabilities in order to enable them to perform all essential job functions, unless doing so creates an undue hardship.
First Republic is subject to federal laws that restrict the employment of individuals with certain types of criminal histories, including FDIA Section 19 and FINRA. To the extent not inconsistent with our obligations under those federal laws and regulations, First Republic will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles and San Francisco ban-the-box laws.
Base salary range
$168,000 - $180,000 per year.
Salary may vary depending on job-related factors including, but not limited to, skills and experience. Full-time employees may be eligible for a comprehensive benefits package that includes: medical, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), life insurance, paid time off and a Wellness Program. Annual bonus, incentive pay and/or equity may also apply depending upon the role.
#LI-HYBRID and #HYBRID