Job Description Summary
As a Machine Operator you will work at the Allentown, PA Metem a GE Power business manufacturing plant and operate a variety of production equipment and tooling. You will also have ownership of safety, compliance, quality, and productivity.
- Set-up and operate CNC, EDM, and/or ECM machines to perform machining operations, fast hole drilling, graphite shaping on metal castings, forgings and bar stock according to specifications and set-up instructions, applying knowledge of machining methods.
- Study blueprint and set-up instructions to determine machining required, dimensional specifications, work procedures and methods. Determine tool lengths, maintain tool change list and program measuring adjustments.
- Install work holding devices such as blocks and tooling on table of machine using hand tools. Lift work piece on table manually or with other material handling equipment and position and secure work piece on machine table or in holding device.
- Select and install tooling, place electrodes in automatic-tool-changer (if required) in sequence specified on process sheet.
- Observe numerical displays on control panel and compare with data on process sheet to verify dimensional adjustments, feed rates and speed of machining cuts. Check program at start of each shift.
- Inspect first-run piece, maintain measured dimension list. Record and inspect key dimensions for conformance to specifications using micrometer and precision dial gauges.
- Notify supervisor if machined first piece does not conform to specifications or of machine malfunction. Deburr all pieces as per specifications and good machining practice. Troubleshoot production problems.
- Troubleshoot production, machine and quality problems.
- Maintain tools and measuring instruments supplied by company.
- Maintain company production and quality standards.
- Report unusual problems or conditions to supervisor.
- Observe company safety rules and regulations.
- Perform, as assigned, other similar and related duties.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Minimum of one-year experience in EDM/CNC or tooling production or equivalent.
- Ability to lift/push/pull at least 50 pounds, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to work occasional weekend shifts.
- Ability to work overtime as required.
- Willingness to wear personal protective equipment, for example: safety glasses, gloves, ear plugs, and safety shoes.
- Successful completion of a background check and drug screen.
- This role requires use of technical data subject to U.S. Government export restrictions and this posting is only for U.S. Persons (U.S. Citizens, lawful permanent residents and protected individuals (e.g., certain refugees and asylees)). GE will require proof of status prior to employment.
- Demonstrates positive attitude, strong work ethic, and self-motivation.
- Has strong ethical stands and integrity.
- Basic mechanical skills needed.
- Proficient shop math skills.
- Experience in manufacturing preferred.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Ability to follow written instructions and take verbal instructions for multiple assembly tasks in a manufacturing shop environment.
- Demonstrates strong communication and follow-up skills.
- Able to work with computerized shop floor tools.
- Strong team player and flexible-willingness to move to different areas.
- Ability to work alone or as part of a team with minimal supervision.
- Has a strong belief in Metem, a GE Power business, and the exciting opportunities it is pursuing.
- Base pay $24/hr.
- 2nd and 3rd shift differential 10%.
- Comprehensive benefit package (including retirement, medical, dental, vision, 12 paid holidays and more...).
This role is restricted to U.S. persons (i.e., U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and other protected individuals under the Immigration and Naturalization Act, 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)) due to access to export-controlled technology. GE will require proof of status prior to employment.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Relocation Assistance Provided: No