For more than 170 years, The Hanover has been committed to delivering on our promises and being there when it matters the most. We live our values every day, demonstrating we CARE through our values, ESG initiatives and IDE journey.
We are currently seeking an AVP/Enterprise Architect in our Worcester, MA or remote work location.
This is a full time, exempt role.
The AVP/Specialty Enterprise Architect provides overall technology leadership, direction, guidance and definition of an enterprise architecture that effectively supports the Specialty lines Business Strategy.
This is a leadership position with managing people directly, providing guidance, and mentoring of Solution and Data Architects.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:**
- Be responsible for technology strategy, roadmap development, portfolio management, researching, analyzing, designing, proposing, and delivering solutions that are appropriate for the business and technology strategies.
- Actively participates in the Architecture Review Board (ARB), participates in Technical approach, design document review, enforces the Architecture compliance rules. Serves as a member of technology council, providing guidance on technology decisions.
- Work in close partnership with the business community, aligning technical strategies with business strategies in the creation and evolution of the multi-Year Technology Plan and the IT Systems Vision.
- Work with the business leaders in each Specialty Lines area to understand their business roadmaps and how technology can help them meet their goals. This includes developing a 3-year roadmap for each business area.
- Align the architectural strategy, roadmaps with business goals and focus on strategies for creating business value.
- Have management responsibilities for Specialty Solutions and Data Architects. Mentor architects and continue to drive efficiency and produce exceptional results with limited resources. Participate and Support IP Planning for each year.
- Develop & enforce Architecture compliance rules.
- Provide architectural oversight for investment projects that support the Specialty business areas each year. This includes working closely with the Business Architect to prepare for the start of each project and then assigning architect resources and helping to solve any challenges that are encountered throughout the project.
- Focus on improving the health of the Specialty technology portfolio and continuously work to reduce technical debt for the Specialty systems. This includes proposing upgrades and improvements to our strategic platforms.
- Provide support and guidance for Enterprise, Innovation, Digital and Security initiatives.
- Research and evaluate software/ hardware products to assist in project development and operational support activities. Also, research industry trends and directions.
- Participate in defining the technology direction, architecture and strategic design of systems solutions.
- Recommend new tools, methodologies, technologies, data and platforms.
- Support the selection of tools and components used for an IT project; recommending expenditures based on the size, scope, and cost of hardware and software components.
- Provide input on options, risk, cost vs. benefits, and impacts on other processes for buy vs. build decisions.
- Be responsible for participation on one or more project teams, including creating value with technology, designing and modeling solutions, component identification, quality reviews, and adherence to guidelines and procedures. Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Analyze the current architecture to identify weaknesses and develop opportunities for improvements such as expanding capacity, predictability, reducing time & cost, and increasing effectiveness.
- Drive efficiency through retirement and replacement, and multi-sourcing of systems suite.
- Build flexibility and responsiveness into the technology architecture and processes.
- Assist in defining technical and data standards and procedures that provide enterprise-wide leverage.
- Communicate existing architectural methods and technologies to the IT organization.
- Provide on-going status to ensure needs are met.
- Provide input on the impact of technology decisions to project management in terms of cost, resources, time, and quality of the deliverables.
- Analyze and develop architectural requirements for system, technical, data and/or applications.
- Coordinate the integration of third party and internally developed components to achieve operability. Assist in vendor management functions by establishing vendor and supplier relationships. Continue to expand knowledge base in both the technical and business arenas.
WHAT YOU NEED TO APPLY:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 10+ Years of experience as an Architect in multiple IT areas, and independent professional experience.
- 10+ years of overall IT experience in application development, technical lead, and solution architecture
- Requires intermediate to advanced knowledge and understanding Cloud development, networking, software, data, security, Internet, operations, applications and systems software, data and analytics, architecture and core business functions
- Strong business knowledge in Commercial / Specialty insurance
It’s not just a job, it’s a career, and we are here to support you every step of the way. We want you to be successful and fulfilled. Through on-the-job experiences, personalized coaching and our robust learning and development programs, we encourage you – at every level – to grow and develop.
We offer comprehensive benefits to help you be healthy, build financial security, and balance work and home life. At The Hanover, you’ll enjoy what you do and have the support you need to succeed.
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance
- 401K with a company match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company paid holidays
- Flexible work arrangements
- Cultural Awareness Day in support of IDE
- On-site medical/wellness center (Worcester only)
- Click here for the full list of Benefits
The Hanover values diversity in the workplace and among our customers. The company provides equal opportunity for employment and promotion to all qualified employees and applicants on the basis of experience, training, education, and ability to do the available work without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex/gender, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, ancestry or any other status protected by law.
Furthermore, The Hanover Insurance Group is committed to providing an equal opportunity workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment based on national origin, race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by law.”
As an equal opportunity employer, Hanover does not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities. Individuals with disabilities who wish to request a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, or to perform essential job functions, should contact us at: [email protected] and include the link of the job posting in which you are interested.
Applicants who are California residents: To see the types of information we may collect from applicants and employees and how we use it, please click here**.