e flexible work arrangements. This position may be hybrid/remote and based anywhere in the United States (excluding, CA, WA, NY, and CO), with ability for regular business travel as needed. Location of position is flexible. Our teams have presence across the country.****
The Hanover is a diverse and inclusive organization focused on hiring the best talent and we encourage all qualified professionals to apply. We believe that an inclusive, diverse, and equitable workplace make us a better organization and creates a stronger community.
Check out The Hanover and discover the possibilities.
The actual job title and level may be flexible dependent on candidate qualifications and experience. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
THIS IS A FULL-TIME, EXEMPT ROLE.
Responsible for underwriting and selling new and renewal Professional accounts that drive profitable growth and align with Industry Segments and LOB mix goals. Apply technical, sales and analytical skills to provide insurance solutions that help Hanover’s customers manage risk. Demonstrate a thorough understanding of Hanover’s strategies and appetites and will use internal and external data to make appropriate individual and portfolio risk decisions. Operates with limited daily supervision, seeks technical direction for matters outside one’s authority and general expertise. Operates within a standard letter of authority for all underwriting decisions while managing a book of business, generally with moderate to high technical complexity and coordination.
**IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Know and apply underwriting concepts including risk selection, exposure and hazard identification and control, coverage implications, and loss analysis.
- Use all appropriate underwriting tools, disciplines, and strategies to ensure underwriting guidelines are followed.
- Understand pricing components and rating methodology and correlates pricing to exposures.
- When presented with minimal information on a risk, instinctively know the key questions to ask to ascertain the full scope of operations and the key exposures and needed controls.
- Complete file documentation according to best practices guidelines and can clearly explain account decisions.
- Provide clear and concise rating instructions for quotes prior to generating proposal for presentation to the agent.
Portfolio Management & Financial Acumen:
- Manage assigned portfolio to achieve gross written premium, profitability, rate, retention, product mix, new business, and portfolio management goals, by use of proven pipeline and marketing practices.
- Developing an understanding of various financial reporting information and insurance performance measures in the management of risk.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the market factors that can affect pricing and how it correlates to individual’s book, agency’s book, the region, and countrywide.
- Prepare or analyze information on underwriting decisions, rate, underwriting requirements, company appetite, status, and declinations to drive results within the assigned territory.
- Familiarize oneself with other Hanover departments for leveraging growth in areas of business where portfolio could be more balanced.
- Can negotiate and close accounts aligned with business strategy. Ability to profile assigned agency plant and to strategically market our capabilities to agents.
- Keeps current on state/territory issues, regulations, and trends.
- Utilize market and competitor information to enhance relationships and individual account decision making.
- Prioritize and develop effective relationship management and producer activities to build trust, facilitate negotiation, and secure commitment to improve yield and retention ratios.
- Operate with a franchise perspective to identify additional sell opportunities to create growth within other LOB’s and customer segments.
- Partner with other business units to deliver comprehensive insurance solutions.
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of Hanover’s products and appetite while clearly communicating Hanover’s position at the point of sale.
- Build and maintain rigorous sales practices using all systems, sales tools and disciplines outlined in the sales best practices.
- Make presentations to agents and customers. Utilize department and Specialty partners to augment sales process. Effectively utilize Claims and Loss Control to display service and/or technical expertise with present and future customers.
WHAT YOU NEED TO APPLY:**
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
- Generally, 3-7+ years Specialty or standard commercial lines experience.
- 3-4+ years’ experience driving agency relationships resulting in profitable new and renewal business as well as complex accounts.
- Demonstrates ability to adapt quickly to change, identify, analyze, and solve problems and willingness to being open to new and different ways of thinking.
- Communication - ability to effectively interact and communicate, verbally and in writing, with all levels of external and/or internal business partners within scope of responsibility, team and/or matrix environment. Demonstrating ability to consult with internal and external parties on underwriting matters.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Ability to exercise judgment, negotiate and make sound business decisions effectively based on level of authority. Demonstrates confidence in own abilities and is comfortable taking informed risk.
- Agile and Adaptive - Strong ability to identify, analyze and solve problems as well as the ability to learn rapidly, adapt quickly to change, exercise influence, and manage and prioritize multiple concurrent projects.
- Teamwork and Collaboration - Openly encourages other team members to share ideas and voice concerns. Shows respect for differences and diversity in ideas and views. Involves other team members to achieve optimal performance.
- Prioritization and Desk Management - Understands and seeks ways to improve the quality and results of one’s work. Monitors progress against agreed upon timeline and deliverables. Raises awareness if achievement of committed work may be compromised and actively engages in mitigating the situation.
It’s not just a job, it’s a career, and we are here to support you every step of the way. We want you to be successful and fulfilled. Through on-the-job experiences, personalized coaching and our robust learning and development programs, we encourage you – at every level – to grow and develop.
We offer comprehensive benefits to help you be healthy, build financial security, and balance work and home life. At The Hanover, you’ll enjoy what you do and have the support you need to succeed.
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance
- 401K with a company match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company paid holidays
- Flexible work arrangements
- Cultural Awareness Day in support of IDE
- On-site medical/wellness center (Worcester only)
- Click here for the full list of Benefits
The Hanover values diversity in the workplace and among our customers. The company provides equal opportunity for employment and promotion to all qualified employees and applicants on the basis of experience, training, education, and ability to do the available work without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex/gender, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, ancestry or any other status protected by law.
Furthermore, The Hanover Insurance Group is committed to providing an equal opportunity workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment based on national origin, race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by law.”
As an equal opportunity employer, Hanover does not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities. Individuals with disabilities who wish to request a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, or to perform essential job functions, should contact us at: HRServices@https://hanover.com and include the link of the job posting in which you are interested.
Applicants who are California residents: To see the types of information we may collect from applicants and employees and how we use it, please click here**.