Graduate Research Intern
Santa Clara, CA
Come join Intel Labs as an intern in our Photonics Research Lab.
In this position, the successful candidate will be working with senior researchers on design, fabrication, and characterization of silicon-based photonics devices for applications in optical communications and sensing. The intern will be responsible for developing measurement and data acquisition techniques to characterize a variety of photonics devices, performing optical and electrical testing, simulation, and data analysis.
The candidate should have the followin behavioral traits:
- Strong communication skills
- The ability to work both independently and in an interdisciplinary team
- The desire to succeed in a fast-paced and challenging professional environment.
The internship assignment is for 6 months preferably.
The ideal candidate must possess the below minimum qualifications to be initially considered for this position. Preferred qualifications are in addition to the minimum requirements and are considered a plus factor in identifying top candidates. Experience listed below would be obtained through relevant previous schooling, industry jobs and/or research experience.
- Must be pursuing a Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Optical Science or related fields with a strong background in integrated optics and electro-optic devices.
- 3+ years of work or educational experience with electrical and optical testing, fiber-to-waveguide optical alignment, and time-domain and frequency domain measurements.
3+ years of experience in feedback controls for laser frequency and intensity stabilization.
- 3+ years on fundamental understanding of silicon photonics technology and its applications.
- 3+ years on basic knowledge of laser physics, semiconductor processing, fiber optics, planar lightwave circuits, semiconductor physics as related to photonic devices such as diode lasers and photodetectors, and a broad set of lab skills.
- 3+ years familiar with characterization techniques of high speed optical components for fiber optical communications such as modulators and detectors.
- 3+ years of experience in integrated optics, photonics device simulation and characterization, data acquisition and analysis software such as Lumerical, Cadence, LabView and Matlab.
Inside this Business Group
Intel Labs is the company's world-class, industry leading research organization, responsible for driving Intel's technology pipeline and creating new opportunities. The mission of Intel Labs is to deliver breakthrough technologies to fuel Intel's growth. This includes identifying and exploring compelling new technologies and high risk opportunities ahead of business unit investment and demonstrating first-to-market technologies and innovative new usages for computing technology. Intel Labs engages the leading thinkers in academia and industry in addition to partnering closely with Intel business units.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by local law, regulation, or ordinance....