Technical Writing Manager
San Jose, CA
Intel's Programmable Solutions group is looking for a Technical Communications manager in San Jose. This person will lead a team of technical writers to deliver the high-quality collateral that is essential for our customers' successful development using Intel's
FPGA solutions - hardware, software tools, IP and platforms.
In this role, you'll assign documentation deliverables to your staff by assessing effort required, bandwidth availability, and project priorities while providing your team with the support and guidance necessary to deliver to quality collateral as per commitments. This will require you also interact closely with subject matter experts in engineering, applications and marketing, and other members of cross-functional project teams. Quality is a top priority, and we'll expect you to proactively drive this with your team following process guidelines, and leading or contributing to organizational improvement efforts.
Managing and supporting your staff is a key component of the role. This includes a regular cadence of group and 1:1 communication, setting performance expectations and providing feedback, and rewards planning. You'll also be there to coach, mentor, and facilitate career development of your team. You'll become part of our worldwide Tech Comms staff and engage with partner organizations across the globe.
We have a great opportunity to influence and evolve Intel's customer experience. Bringing together the talents of our people, an understanding of our technologies, and applying industry-leading tools and techniques will allow us to more effectively deliver the right information, at the right time, in the right way.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Assess and scope incoming documentation deliverable requests, prioritize and allocate to your writing staff. Communicate status to requestors.
- Use bug-tracking tool for timely communication in response to requests and status.
- Ensure you and your team follow documentation development processes and guidelines. Educate staff and stakeholders as necessary to drive compliance.
- Actively engage stakeholder teams as needed to ensure your staff has access to accurate source content, inputs from their SME, address priority and schedule changes
- Participate in regular series of meetings - including 1:1's, your staff, TC staff, program teams
- Regular reviews of documentation quality, KPI reports, share feedback and take actions to drive improvement
- Goal setting for your team, regular performance feedback conversations, annual rewards planning. Coach and facilitate career development of your team. Mentoring others (beyond your direct staff).
- Administration of non-exempt writing team (5 - 8 people), local (San Jose, CA) and remote (Austin, TX and Boise, Idaho); requires time-card approval and overtime budget management
Lead or participate in improvement initiatives with Tech Comms staff and cross-functional teams
- 5+ years technical writing and/or engineering role
- Experience creating technical content
- BA/BS degree
- Management and/or project management and/orteam leadership experience (i.e. coaching, mentoring, etc.)
- Availability to support global collaboration (typically evenings)
- Quality mindset
- Strong written and verbal communication, successfully engages both local and remote colleagues
- Experience with structured content, DITA XML publishing is a plus
- BSEE, BSCS, BSCE or related degree is a plus
- Technical expertise in one or more of the following: FPGA, software engineering, FPGA IP, high-speed interfaces, hardware security, is a plus
- Customer-facing technical support - Factory or Field applications engineering, training, technical sales or marketing is a plus
- Technical writing experience in a semiconductor companyis a plus
- Experience with bug tracking systems and Agile development is a plus
Inside this Business Group
The Programmable Solutions Group (PSG) was formed from the acquisition of Altera. As part of Intel, PSG will create market-leading programmable logic devices that deliver a wider range of capabilities than customers experience today. Combining Altera's industry-leading FPGA technology and customer support with Intel's world-class semiconductor manufacturing capabilities will enable customers to create the next generation of electronic systems with unmatched performance and power efficiency. PSG takes pride in creating an energetic and dynamic work environment that is driven by ingenuity and innovation. We believe the growth and success of our group is directly linked to the growth and satisfaction of our employees. That is why PSG is committed to a work environment that is flexible and collaborative, and allows our employees to reach their full potential.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by local law, regulation, or ordinance....