Ironwood Pharmaceuticals is seeking a Director of Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) to head our financial planning and analysis and play a key role in the Finance organization. Reporting to the Sr Director, FP&A, the Director of FP&A will have ownership of the creation and maintenance of financial models, forecasts, reports and Key Performance Indicators. Working directly with the senior leadership team, this position will play a lead role in strategic planning, assessing operational and investment decisions, and developing success criteria. The Director of FP&A will focus on the analytics that support strategic financial planning, budgets, forecasting, asset valuation, monthly financial reporting, and portfolio management.
The Director of FP&A is accountable for providing sound financial analysis to support the development of the company’s overall business strategy, developing insightful information from the company’s internal accounting and financial reports, delivering executive level presentations, and synthesizing and articulating key findings for executive and operations management audiences. The Director of FP&A will advise and support the company’s executive team including preparing board and financial presentations, new business initiatives, and opportunities assessment, and is a key resource for the company’s corporate development initiatives.
The candidate will demonstrate the ability to understand and apply various principles and possess a deep knowledge of the Corporate operations in the bio-pharmaceutical industry to solve a wide range of challenges, raise business issues, and identify and implement process improvement opportunities. A strong candidate will have a demonstrated ability to communicate to peers, clients and top management in a clear and concise manner.
- Ownership of financial planning and tracking of operating expenses, headcount reporting, monthly close support, quarterly forecasting, annual budgeting, variance analyses for all functions across commercial, general & administrative and total company P&L, cash flow, balance sheet forecasts
- Advisor to the senior teams on the financial performance of the business and produce board and management reporting packages;
- Lead the organization in the annual operating plan process and conduct financial forecasts and budget analyses;
- Lead periodic business reviews to analyze results and key information and conduct sensitivity and risk analysis, and develop recommended actions;
- Manage multiple direct reports on a day-to-day basis and support their on-going career development;
- Provide direction to and implement departmental policies to ensure proper accounting treatment of PO’s & expenses;
- Lead and support FP&A integration activities related to acquisitions and business development, as required;
- Partner with project team lead/members and department heads to ensure consistency between corporate goals, project timelines, and project financial plans;
- Oversee financial systems;
- Support the business development department on valuation and financial aspects of collaboration agreements and other corporate development projects, including analyses supporting program-related investment decisions;
- Support and facilitate updates to the Corporate Long-Range Planning model;
- Conduct ad-hoc financial modeling to support tactical and strategic decision making such as business case development, cost analysis, and sensitivity analyses;
- Provide financial management and oversight over contracts as well as any key partnerships, collaborations or licensing deals;
- Participate on special projects, as assigned;
- 12+ years of progressive experience and demonstrated growth including a minimum of 5 years in Finance/FP&A required;
- Biotechnology/pharmaceutical industries experience required including working knowledge of clinical development and commercial finance;
- Highly proficient developing complex in business models;
- Demonstrated ability to perform trend analyses and forecasting;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work effectively with multiple functional areas in a collaborative, team environment;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to effectively influence business partners and decisions on optimal decisions for the company;
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and work independently with minimal supervision and/or guidance;
- Well organized and a strong attention detail; ability to effectively adopt/implement systematic approaches in order to maximize efficiencies and scalability;
- Prior experience with ERP systems, Financial Planning tools, and other financial systems implementations preferred
- Positive work ethic, superb communication, and organizational skills with high attention to detail, and unquestionable integrity and personal ethics
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment with the ability to think strategically Successful experience in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
- Prior experience leading a team
Ironwood is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Ironwood currently anticipates that the initial base salary for this position could range from between $197,000-$229,320. The actual base salary will depend, in part, on the successful candidate’s qualifications for the role, including education and experience. Ironwood offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits program to eligible employees, including Restricted Stock Unit awards; eligibility to participate in either a bonus or sales incentive program; company-sponsored 401(k) with matching contributions; eligibility for medical, dental, vision and prescription drug benefits; wellness stipends; and a generous vacation/holiday schedule.