We at Janssen are entrusted with one of the most important jobs in the world. We aspire to transform lives by bringing lifesaving and life-changing solutions to people who need them. We’re committed to providing safe and effective medicines as well as the services and support that contribute to healthy outcomes. This calls for the best science, the most creative minds, and an openness to collaborate with researchers, governments, and patient organizations at every stage – from early discovery to market access and patient education.
In this exciting role, the Oncology Clinical Educator (OCE) will be responsible for providing clinical education for the Janssen Oncology brands primarily focused on PI-based and disease state education to non-physician patient care teams (PCT), including nurses, nurse navigators, pharmacists, and other advanced practice providers (APPs), such as Nurse Practitioners and Physician’s Assistants to drive positive PCT and patient experiences. OCEs support a patient experience that focuses on the whole patient, addressing educational needs related to both clinical and behavioral aspects of treatment and disease management. This position will work with both the Hematology and the Solid Tumor OCE teams. This position will flex to meet the needs of the OCE team related to product launches and needs within the commercial Janssen organization. As such, this position will receive focused OCE product/disease state training as appropriate to execute stakeholder strategies. This position will work collaboratively with the OCE manager and respective OCE team member who is responsible for a specific territory within the West region. This position will be an overlay position for the entire West region and will be responsible for the following geographic territory: California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, and Hawaii.
OCEs will be a trusted educational resource for PCTs and patients to better understand various aspects of treatment with Janssen Oncology brands. OCEs will help support PCTs caring for patients treated with Janssen Oncology brands through education and approved resources in a defined geographic territory.
The OCE will serve as the strategic education leader across academic and community oncology accounts in a defined geographic area. The OCE will analyze account dynamics to gain a deep understanding of customer educational objectives and customer clinical challenges. The OCE will use these insights to develop strategic educational plans.
The OCE will determine how to best engage PCTs and accounts, monitor the changing market educational needs/clinical trends, and compliantly collaborate with internal/external partners to build/execute plans that support the education needs.
The OCE will also play a key role in the education of patients, through requests from advocacy groups.
The OCE is responsible for conducting all activities in accordance with current regulatory and health care compliance guidelines and in alignment with the OCE Rules of Engagement.
Key Job Responsibilities: (Duties may include, but are not limited to the following)
- Build external relationships with PCTS (RN, NP, PA, Pharm.D., Nurse Navigators) and develop and manage a geographical territory. The management of this territory will be in collaboration with a fellow OCE who is assigned to a specific territory within the West region. This OCE position is for an overlay position for the entire region.
- Develop and maintain effective and efficient communication with the OCE responsible for the specific territory within the region.
- Develop and maintain a strategic territory plan that meet customer educational needs and clinical challenges, through analysis of account dynamics and clinical insights as well as constant communication with the OCE responsible for the specific territory.
- Educate PCTS on disease state awareness in the Oncology/Hematology sector, as well as, both clinical and operational aspects of appropriate patient identification
- Educate PCTs on the clinical profile of Oncology/Hematology products including but not limited to clinical benefits and administration requirements
- Provide education programs through 1:1 presentation, round table discussions, or formal presentations
- Provide education to patients in patient advocacy meeting settings
- Master all aspects of the clinical and administrative profile of a new cancer medication
- Teach key external stakeholders (infusion nurses, other medical staff) on the infusion process associated with a new cancer medication
- Strong ability to understand, translate and communicate relevant clinical education topics to diverse audiences
- Utilizes strategic questioning and active listening to routinely document and share PCT clinical insights from customer engagements that take place within accounts or at national, regional, and local meetings
- Utilizes clinical insights to shape local education strategy and build strategic account educational plans
- Attend and provide clinical information and/or presentations at national, regional, and local meetings
- Provides staff support, as appropriate at exhibit booths and displays as required
- Actively participates in journal clubs, book clubs, and team clinical discussions
- In collaboration with supervisor develops, implements, and documents performance and development plan
- Participates in projects as assigned by management
- Performs all administrative requirements in a timely, accurate and compliant manner (e.g. expense reports, documentation of activities)
- Provide regional and local support to clinically enhance sales training initiatives and improve clinical competencies of field personnel in partnership with Sales Learning and Development
- Supports the assigned therapeutic areas within the JBI Oncology/Hematology portfolio and compliantly collaborates internally across functional areas as it relates to the Oncology business including sales, marketing, Health Policy & Advocacy, Medical Science Liaisons, Janssen Care Path, etc.
- Maintains thorough understanding and competence in the following areas: Oncology Clinical Educator mission, vision and rules of engagement; operating company labeled scientific data; market dynamics and competitive landscape; regulatory and health care compliance guidelines; corporate policies on appropriate business conduct and ethical behavior; relevant SOPs and guidelines
- Stays current in clinical developments related to specific disease states
- Develops and maintains advanced presentation skills to facilitate effective communication of clinical information
- Documents all interactions, clinical insights and customer profile information daily as directed
- Attends clinically relevant meetings for personal/professional development
- Maintains the highest level of professional standards in all interactions with customers and other business contacts
- Conducts all aspects of the OCE role in accordance with the OCE Rules of Engagement