Johnson & Johnson
Director, Consumer Solutions (Design)
- Experience 10+ Years
- Category Design
- Location New York, NY
GSDO is an internal design team responsible for creating desirable, feasible and viable holistic end-user solutions across all of Johnson & Johnson’s business groups: Consumer, Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices.
In collaboration with business partners across the global organization, we apply design thinking to drive transformational innovation for the health and well-being of all who use our products and services. Our focus on people-centered design enables us to deliver on Johnson & Johnson’s commitment to care for the world, one person at a time.
The Director of Consumer Solutions is a visionary leader who will passionately develop holistic solutions and brand experiences that enable consumers to engage in delightful interactions with our brands. In this role, you will partner with senior business leaders on a variety of projects for our Cosumer brands, working on incremental as well as on transformational innovation initiatives. An important role of this position is to demonstrate the value and necessity of embedding design/design thinking into the development processes for products, services and integrated solutions. As technology plays an increasing role in the successful creation of meaningful and holistic systems within our consumer brands, it will be equally vital for you to facilitate an empathetic, people-centered POV to inform development decisions.
As Director of Consumer Solutions, you will contribute to the organization in three distinct ways:
- Partnering within the J&J enterprise you will establish relationships and liaise with business partners and cross-functional teams to leverage opportunities for collaboration;
- Identify opportunities to enhance the quality of brand experiences;
- Work with internal and external design teams to organize resources and develop plans for executing programs.
- You will also contribute to creative concept development and design direction, in partnership with Design Capabilities and specialized subject matter experts.
You will work directly with the Senior Director, Consumer Solutions, and GSDO colleagues across disciplines and franchises to:
- Shape and guide the design strategy for how holistic brand experiences deliver against the Consumer business strategy.
- As a member of the GSDO extended leadership team, you will help transition our multidisciplinary design practice into a highly sought-after capability within J&J.
- In this role, you will evangelize the benefits of design thinking to create growth opportunities for the Consumer Brands.
- You will develop and present case studies that document the GSDO’s delivery of desirable, feasible and viable holistic solutions.
- In this role, you will manage and oversee a variety of design programs, informing design strategy and giving input into design implementation.
- Defining scope, program budgets, goals and deliverables, and working with partner design teams to ensure that projects will be completed within set timelines and budgets.
- You will lead a J&J Consumer Solutions practice, facilitate change management and develop and communicate plans that outline our successes and continual improvement in how we interface with cross-functional roles.
- You will formalize and champion people-centered design capabilities.
- You will lead by example and in accordance with the J&J Credo and J&J Leadership Imperatives.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree is required.
- A major in design is preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years of related experience is required.
- Proven results leading multidisciplinary design teams is required.
- Experience contributing to successful consumer packaging and devices design or consumer products launches to global markets and chronic disease management.
- Demonstrated experience guiding business partners through the design process is required.
- Demonstrated strategic project and senior account management skills is required.
- Ability to leverage working knowledge of design thinking in a tactical business context.
- Project Portfolio management and Financial budgeting skills and competency required.
- Available for 25% domestic and international travel.
- Knowledge of current design and office software, including cross platform (MAC and PC) application and document management.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.