Engineering Design Associate
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory's mission.
We have multiple openings for Engineering Design Associates to support new and on-going experiments and facilities for various programs. You will provide advanced design and drafting support including mechanical design, drawing and data management of complex control/diagnostic systems and sub-systems.
This position will be filled at eitherlevel based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this roleyou will
- Provide advanced Mechanical or Electro-Mechanical drafting and design support to lead designers, engineering, scientific, and technical staff utilizing knowledge of CAD tools.
- Independently generate and drive original design solutions that address requirements and constraints while supporting solutions with advanced analytic skills. Translate these solutions into detailed layouts and assemblies directed or developed by you.
- Perform advanced calculations to support technical work using standard engineering formulas.
- Exercise independent judgment and discretion in pursuit of division and program technical and administrative mission.
- Provide innovative conceptual engineering design and development proposals by preparing or directing initial layouts and checking form, fit, and function. Direct the design of apparatus, equipment, assemblies, facilities, utilities, and systems by interpreting and translating design concepts and layouts for the solution of complex and variable technical problems.
- Participate in the definition of functional requirements, solve complex technical and resource problems, and evaluate alternative design concepts consistent with schedule, cost, and material limitations.
- Provide technical mentorship to fellow designers and lead workforce needs, schedule, job scope, train, and direct work assignments.
- Maintain close working relationships with group leaders and program management to ensure timely, cost-effective execution of supportive design/drafting services.
- Develop, prepare, present, and participate in required design reviews, reports, procedures, and other communications in support of technical and administrative assignments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 339.2 level
- Provide highly advanced technical expertise in the areas of applied engineering technology including planning, design, fabrication, project support, testing, and evaluation where the qualitative and quantitative complexity of the project assignment demands original and innovative problem solutions.
- Collaborate on mechanical design solutions and modifications with high level technical personnel and senior engineering staff at the division and department level management or equivalent.
- Exercise a high degree of independent judgment and discretion in directing and guiding engineering personnel and division staff to fulfill programmatic design assignments.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of design skills and of ASME Y14.5 Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing and its applications, standard drafting practices, and manufacturing processes.
- Advanced written and verbal communication, feedback, and presentation skills necessary to represent the division and program at meetings, briefings, and committee activities both internal and external to the Laboratory and interact with people at all levels.
- Experience in formal design reviews and technical presentations.
- Significant experience using PTC Creo and Windchill Product Lifecycle Management software.
Additional qualifications at the 339.2 level
- Extensive experience in projecting complete design cycle function time for multi-disciplined projects and making independent fundamental decisions regarding variable technical problems, and ability to meet project requirements and deadlines.
- Extensive experience in the application of highly advanced ASME Y14.5 concepts in defining unusual geometrical requirements and in applying advanced drafting practices and fabrication techniques.
- Highly advanced knowledge of additive and subtractive manufacturing processes, welding and leak detection methods, material selection for design and manufacture, mechanics of materials, Finite Element Analysis using Creo Simulate, Engineering Design and Safety Standards.
Qualifications We Desire
- Extensive experience using advanced PTC Creo design modules, including Cabling, Sheetmetal, Surfacing, Rendering, Animation and Mechanism. Experience using Creo Schematics for parametric harness design.
- Experience using Enterprise Lifecycle Management (Windchill) software.
- Experience in design of weapon systems, components, and related diagnostic and testing equipment.
- Experience in design of Optic-Mechanical, vacuum and pressure vessel component and related hardware.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Careersite.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, wewill initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if youmeet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please seeDOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitlesjob applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.