Faculty Mini Sabbatical Program
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
The Faculty Mini Sabbatical Program (FMSP) hires faculty members from universities throughout the U.S through our Faculty Sabbatical Program. The FMSP allows for faculty members to come to the Lab for 1-3 months to engage in a collaborative training and engagement of mutual interest to exchange knowledge, new skills, and develop collaborations. Faculty will be able to collaborate with Laboratory scientists to learn firsthand about Laboratory research and capabilities, train on new facilities, and share knowledge. Selected faculty members will have access to LLNL's extensive computing facilities, specialized laboratory facilities and field equipment.
These employees will be hosted by a staff scientist and work collaboratively for 1-3 months within a research group/division at LLNL.
Each FacultyScholar is selected based upon their outstanding scholarship and research expertise and overlap with the Lab's mission.
The position pays a salary of $14,500/month and covers travel reimbursement to and from Livermore in accordance with LLNL travel policy.
In this roleyou will
- Provide expertise in one or more of the following areas: Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Chemistry, Material Science, Engineering, Nuclear Science, Environmental Science, Atmospheric Science, Geoscience, Energy, Lasers, and/or Biology.
- Collaborate with technical area leaders, project leaders, and program management in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Participate in activities as appropriate to provide and gain exposure to the laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in relevant scientific field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Must be a continuing faculty member at an accredited research institution in the US.
- Extensive knowledge for applicant's science field demonstrated by a publication record.
- Demonstrated creativity, exceptional ability, and proven accomplishments in applicant's area of specialization.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
- Demonstrated initiative and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Careersite.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, wewill initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if youmeet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please seeDOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitlesjob applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.