Laser Postdoctoral Researcher- NO CLEARANCE REQUIRED
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory's mission.
We have openings for multiple Postdoctoral Researchers to participate in the research and development of advanced solid-state laser technology (SSL), ultrafast solid-state lasers, high peak power lasers, high average power lasers, and high energy / high intensity short pulse lasers. These positions are in the HED&PS organization in the Advanced Photon Technologies (APT) group in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate.
In this role, you will:
- Conduct research in and development of one or more of the following areas: long and short pulse laser experiments including characterization of performance, designing, building, testing, fielding, and commissioning laser systems, components, including laser and optical diagnostics.
- Design, implement, and analyze techniques in one or more of the above areas.
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design, and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD degree in laser physics, applied physics, general physics, atomic physics, optics and optoelectronics, or related field or discipline.
- Experience with one or more of the following areas: solid-state lasers, short pulse laser technology, frequency conversion, non-linear optics, fiber lasers, ultrafast laser, short pulse laser diagnostics, plasma physics.
- Ability to perform as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques, and execution.
- Experience developing independent research projects, including publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Effective initiative and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with laser, pulsed power sources, high density plasma interactions and/or conducting high energy density experiments.
- Experience with optoelectronic device simulation (LaserMOD, LASTIP, PICS3D, Silvaco and/or self-written code) and/or optical system design and analysis using sequential and/or non-sequential raytracing tools (Zemax, Code V, OSLO, FRED, LightTools, or ASAP).
- Experience with electromagnetic field simulation using finite-difference time domain, finite element, finite element thermal simulation (e.g., COMSOL, ANSYS, and/or self-written code), and/or beam propagation simulation tools (FIMMWave, BeamPROP, etc., and/or self-written code).
- Experience with CAD-based mechanical design (e.g., AutoCAD, SolidWorks, SolidEdge, etc.) and test equipment control and automation software development (LabVIEW, Python, MATLAB, etc.).
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Careersite.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, wewill initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if youmeet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please seeDOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitlesjob applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.