Radiative Properties - Postdoctoral Researcher
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory's mission.
We have an opening for Postdoctoral Researchers who will perform frontier research in the design and execution of experiments in several of the following areas: plasma physics, atomic physics, radiative properties of hot, dense matter, laser-matter interactions, interactions/effects of intense x-ray sources on materials, or astrophysics. X-ray spectroscopy will be used to diagnose and understand these systems.The selected candidates will routinely interact with professional colleaguesin the Joint High Energy Density Science and Technology Organization (JHEDS) within the Physical and Life Sciences (PLS) and National Ignition Facility and Photon Sciences (NIF) Directorates, academia, management, and sponsors across and outside the Laboratory. These positions will report to the Group Leader for the Radiative Properties Group in the High Energy Density Science Section of the Physics Division of PLS.
In this roleyou will
- Guide and conduct x-ray and laser driven physics experimental campaigns on HED facilities (NIF, Omega, Jupiter Laser Facility).
- Design, develop, calibrate, and deploy x-ray spectrometers and x-ray spectroscopic techniques for the purpose of studying the physics of high-temperature plasmas and radiative processes.
- Guide the design and performance of experiments and conduct new experiments.
- Conduct research on atomic physics, radiative properties of hot, dense matter, inertial confinement fusion, high energy density physics, x-ray source development, effectsof intense sources on materials, or laboratory astrophysics.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in physics, plasma physics, atomic physics, spectroscopy, or related field
- Experience with experimental spectroscopy including calibration, instrument design and fielding, data unfolding.
- Experience in using spectral analysis codes to understand measured optical or x-ray spectra.
- Ability to perform independent research, find innovative solutions and produce significant accomplishments to complex scientific and technical problems.
- Experience working on a research team with individuals from diverse technical backgrounds, as well as function as an independent researcher with a high level of attention to details.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to work in a multidisciplinary team environment, author technical and scientific reports and publications and deliver scientific presentations.
- Documented publication record in peer-reviewed literature and /or experience presenting research results to a large audience.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with computer programming.
- Experience with performing experience at large facilities such as Z, OMEGA,
- Experience with analyzing x-ray or optical images.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Careersite.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, wewill initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if youmeet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please seeDOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitlesjob applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.