Senior/Mechanical Technician - Micro and Nanotechnology
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory's mission.
We have multiple openings for Mechanical Technologists/Senior Mechanical Technologists. You will provide technical support in the areas of microfabrication, semiconductor process equipment, and mechanical design and fabrication for LLNL designed systems. This position will support the Center for Micro and Nanotechnology of the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Provide general technical support maintaining Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD) & plasma etching systems, various semiconductor systems and other mechanical, electrical and equipment.
- Provide microfabrication support in one or more of the following areas: thin film deposition, plasma etching, wet chemistry, photolithography.
- Analyze thin films and etched films using SEM and other characterization equipment.
- Use analytical instruments such a microscope, Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM), profilometers, and other analytical or test equipment.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble moderately complex mechanical components and systems, using work control process and procedure requirements.
- Maintain equipment, acquire data, and process parts as needed.
- Use design software to produce supportive documentation and graphics.
- Follow and adhere to written, operational, and safety procedures in the course of completing job assignments.
- Apply intermediate knowledge of relevant technologies and processes, including interpreting and utilizing laboratory equipment to solve system or mechanical problems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition, at the 533.3 Level
- Operate intricate and complex design, engineering, and scientific software and systems to produce supportive documentation and graphics.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble complex mechanical components and systems including planning and selecting materials, equipment, and methods.
- High level skills and knowledge of materials and characterization processes, including data acquisition techniques related to vapor deposition processes.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- AA/AS degree in Engineering Technology, Vacuum Technology or related technology, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Intermediate understanding of semiconductor vacuum technology, materials, and chemical vapor deposition processes.
- Experience in mechanical assembly of components and some experience in machining, using hand tools and welding.
- Experience with engineering hardware design, fabrication, evaluating and testing processes.
- Knowledge of office computer software, including word processing and spreadsheets necessary to produce supportive documentation and graphics.
- Experience working in a multidisciplinary team environment and demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills.
Additional Qualifications at the 533.3 Level
- Advanced technical skills to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures and experience operating intricate technical software and systems.
- Ability to read and follow complex assembly procedures, engineering notes, sketches, and drawings.
- Possess effective written and verbal communication, interpersonal, and teamwork skills, including feedback and presentation skills to all levels of management, technical, engineering, and scientific staff.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with toxic gas systems.
- Experience with Machining.
- Experience with Programable Logic Controllers (PLC).
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Careersite.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, wewill initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if youmeet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please seeDOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitlesjob applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.