Urban-Scale Atmospheric Modeling - Postdoctoral Researcher
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research using state-of-the-art atmospheric models for a variety of applications, which include ultra-high resolution modeling in urban and complex areas, outdoor-indoor coupled systems, as well as fate and transport for the National Atmospheric Release Advisory Center (NARAC, see https://narac.llnl.gov). You will work with a multidisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, technicians, and project managers to develop and apply new capabilities for emergency response, hazardous transport, and national security purposes. This position is in the Atmospheric, Earth & Energy Division of the Physical Life Sciences Directorate.
In this role you will
- Conduct research in and development of one or more of the following areas: atmospheric modeling, computational fluid dynamics models, arge-eddy simulations of hazardous material transport, urban-scale modeling and outdoor-indoor coupled systems.
- Design, implement, and analyze techniques in one or more of the above areas.
- Organize, analyze, and present data from your and collaborators research.
- Develop, validate and apply computer models of urban-scale and complex terrain atmospheric transport, diffusion, deposition and effects of hazardous material.
- Analyze model and observational datasets relevant to the NARAC, and/or urban-scale system applications.
- Document research by publishing papers in peer-reviewed journals and present technical results at scientific conferences.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in in Atmospheric Science; Mechanical, Civil or Environmental Engineering, or a closely related field.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: urban dispersion modeling, atmospheric science, turbulence and diffusion modeling, computational fluid dynamics, large eddy simulation, indoor-outdoor transport models, nuclear/radiological sources and effects, regional atmospheric flow, atmospheric boundary layer, atmospheric chemistry, aerosol science, field data analysis, and health physics.
- Experience with numerical methods and model development.
- Familiarity with programing languages including Fortran, Python, MATLAB.
- Experience conducting research in atmospheric science, computational fluid mechanics, numerical modeling or closely related field
- Willingness to travel as required to collaborate with researchers.
- Experience with urban-scale simulation and expertise in one or more of the following areas: atmospheric transport and dispersion, indoor-outdoor systems, aerosol science, or large-eddy simulation.
- Experience with large model and observational datasets, modern programming environments, and visualization techniques.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills, as evidenced by published results and presentations.
- Experience with data science, machine learning, uncertainty quantification, ensembles, statistical analysis, microphysics or atmospheric boundary layer turbulence, nuclear/radiological sources and effects.
- Familiarity with GPU programming, MPI/OpenMP for supercomputing.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Careersite.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitlesjob applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.