s. We also study human factors, such as a driver’s ability to recognize and react to various situations, including interaction with automated vehicles.
To support these goals, Leidos is hiring a Senior Simulation Engineer to work in McLean, Virginia as part of a team of researchers developing the latest transportation research technology.
The Senior Simulation Engineer will lead and direct of a team of developers writing and extending a variety of applications and components in support of transportation research, including connected vehicles and human factors. The simulation team focuses on moving elements of the transportation ecosystem into a simulation environment, where tools can be tested safely and efficiently and new algorithms can be explored before deployment on hardware.
The simulation team assignments may include simulation development, integration, and operation; data parsing and composition; communications with network or hardware devices including radios; guidance algorithms; control of automated vehicles; data collection, display, storage, retrieval, and analysis; rendering of visual scenes; database operations and data warehousing; and developing systems in an open-source environment for use by researchers across the country.
This role will play a significant role in implementing, adopting, and evaluating Vehicle-to-anything (V2X) and Automated Driving System (ADS) simulation technologies developed both in-house and by others.
The work will be approximately split between project work (~60%), team management (~35%), and proposals (~5%).
Anticipated pay range for this role: $85,000 - $100,000 - $115,000
Systems of interest relate, but are not limited, to the following:
- Cloud computing and cloud-based simulation
- Automated driving system simulation technologies
- Vehicle dynamic simulations and multi-resolution co-simulation
- V2X communication hardware, software, and standards
- Vehicle automation and cooperation
- Sensor fusion and perception
- Traffic simulation
- Driving simulator
- 3D and HD mapping
- Data visualization
- Traffic operations
- Intelligent transportation systems.
- Augmented reality (AR) and Virtual reality (VR)
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other relevant science or engineering discipline (https://e.g., transportation engineering, electrical engineering, etc.)
- 6+ years of experience developing software with progressively increasing responsibilities.
- 2+ years of experience leading a team of software engineers (2-5) including hiring, career development, personnel management, and resource loading.
- High level of knowledge and experience with C++ and Python.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust security clearance (which includes three years of immediate residency in the US).
- Experience leading in an agile development environment.
- Experience with distributed computing middleware (https://e.g. ROS, DDS, TENA, Kafka, etc.).
- Strong understanding of software quality techniques and practices (automated unit testing, test-driven design/development, continuous integration, etc.).
- Experience providing constructive feedback in software design and code reviews in order to improve team knowledge and ensure a robust system.
- Cloud computing development and configuration.
- Operation and development for driver-in-the-loop, software-in-the-loop, hardware-in-the-loop, or motion platform simulators.
- Experience developing proposals including technical details, work estimates, and costing.
- Valid driver’s license in the US.
- Hands-on experience with traffic simulation tools like SUMO, Vissim, Aimsun, TransModeler or similar.
- Hands-on experience with vehicle dynamic and sensor simulation tools, such as CARLA, LGSVL, CARSIM, CARMaker or similar.
- Hands-on experience with communication simulation tools like NS-3, OMNET++, NetSim, OPNET, Matlab or similar.
- Experience managing projects and programs using agile development tools (https://e.g. Jira, Confluence).
- Developing software systems in an open-source environment
- Agile Scrum Master certification
- Cloud computing development and configuration
- Experience with HD maps and tools (https://e.g., Roadrunner)
- Experience with creating 3D maps for 3D simulators (Unreal Engine, CARLA)
- Understanding of communication protocols – TCP/UDP, SNMP
- Knowledge of IP concepts, techniques, and common practices (https://e.g., working with sockets, internal vs external IP addressing, routing, etc)
- Familiarity with concepts of co-simulation or co-simulation frameworks (FMI/HLA/MOSAIC)
- Knowledge of vehicle electronic systems and standards (SAE, ISO, etc.)
- Experience with Git, Maven, Gradle, Docker and continuous integration
- Software development for AR and VR technology
Pay Range $78,https://000.00 - $141,https://000.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.