ofessional growth, and will be a key part of a team developing and extending a variety of applications and components in support of transportation research. This person will play a role in developing and evaluating technologies using the https://5.9 GHz band.
Systems of interest relate to the following:
Vehicle-to-infrastructure, Vehicle-to-pedestrian, and vehicle-to-vehicle communication hardware and standards,
Connected and Automated vehicles,
Traffic operations, and
Intelligent transportation systems.
The successful candidate will work closely with fellow engineers, software developers, and project managers to identify testing needs; develop and execute test plans; and install, evaluate, and manage communications hardware. The candidate should enjoy working in a lab environment and in real-world, hands-on settings developing and testing new solutions, tools, and opportunities to advance the state of technology and promote adoption. The V2X R&D Engineer will be part of a growing research team that advances connected and automated vehicle technologies for FHWA.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Interacting with in-house and external development teams to identify, understand, and resolve technical goals and challenges.
- Working with wireless device vendors to procure and evaluate development hardware.
- Installing, configuring, and testing wireless hardware and software.
- Sensor calibration and working with robotic systems.
- Independent troubleshooting and task leadership.
- Evaluating new communication methods using cellular and DSRC in a vehicle environment.
- Supporting Connected Vehicle- and Infrastructure-based applications on various platforms.
- Tracking and reporting performance of hardware and software under test.
- Producing clear and concise records of testing and other technical documentation.
- Test planning and development, system testing, and user documentation.
- Bachelors degree or higher in Electrical Engineering, Communications Engineering, or other engineering field.
- 3+ years of experience working in a lab environment.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance (which includes three years of immediate residency in the US).
- Willing to travel to test sites within the US to support occasional test events for multiple weeks (10% on average).
- Ability to hold a valid driver’s license in the US and has a good driving record.
- Familiar with Linux and Windows operating systems.
- Good understanding of the interactions between software and hardware (control and sensing).
- Experience with networking protocols including IPv4, IPv6, TCP, UDP, and SNMP.
- Experience with creating and executing comprehensive test cases.
- Ability to identify, record, document, and track faults and flaws in a device under test.
- Self-motivated and ability to self-teach with minimal guidance.
- Interest in hands-on work with hardware and software.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Motivation to follow through on commitments and deliver quality products on or ahead of schedule.
- Experience with radio frequency device performance characterization and modulation techniques.
- Experience with wireless standards including IEEE https://802.11 & 1609, 3GPP LTE & 5G, SAE J2735 & J2945.
- Awareness of connected vehicle and ITS standards including IEEE 1609, 3GPP Rel 14/15 PC5, SAE J2735/J2945/J3161, NTCIP 1202/1218.
- Hands-on setup of data collection hardware and software.
- Experience with Keysight FieldFox or other spectrum analyzers.
- Experience working with Java, Python, SQL, C++, C#, C.
- Understanding of connected and/or automated vehicle operations.
- Understanding of network simulation tools (https://e.g. NS-3).
- Geospatial positioning (https://e.g. GPS) and position correction (https://e.g. RTCM).
- Awareness of the systems engineering process.
- Network administration/engineering.
- Data management.
- Familiar with R, Matlab, or other professional statistical software package.
Anticipated pay range for this role: $75000 - $85000 - $95000
Pay Range $63,https://050.00 - $113,https://975.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.