Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences. Learn more about Lumen’s network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
The Release Management team is responsible for executing maintenance activities on customer devices across Lumen’s managed private and public cloud environments by leveraging automation solutions.
The primary responsibility for the Release Management Engineer is to plan, validate and execute approved maintenance in adherence with best practice Change and Release Management processes. Release Management Engineer is also responsible for overseeing the Operating System patching service for Lumen customers. They will provide technical expertise and solutions to enable regular maintenance of core platform management and monitoring agents, and routine installation of operating system security updates and patches.
The Release Management Engineer provides superior engineering support within an established global team of Release Management Execution Engineers. Through their expertise in the use of Release Management automation tools and scripts, the Lead Release Management Engineer will act as a point of escalation and guidance for the Release Management Execution Engineers during the execution of routine maintenance.
The Release Management Engineer will contribute to the continuous improvement of Global Release Management processes working closely with the Release Management Development and Coordination teams and by maintaining up to date customer specific and procedural documentation.
The Release Management Engineer is a technical specialist within the Global Release Management team. Summary of responsibilities:-
• Successfully execute maintenance activities, either in response to customer requests or to proactively manage and maintain customer environments on Lumen’s hosting and cloud platforms, in accordance with Change and Release Management processes
• Review and validate scheduled maintenance activities supporting successful execution by proactively resolving incidents and issues identified during validation phase
• Patch management and approval of security updates in Windows Server (WSUS), Red Hat (RHN, RHSM) and VMware ESXi environments to ensure consistent deployment of security updates customer environments e.g. staged deployments across DEV/UAT/PROD environments
• Deploy core operating system management and monitoring agents via manual and automation methods
• Build and maintain good relationships with customers, customer account teams and Lumen’s internal Change and Release Management teams and provide technical guidance to achieve successful outcomes for customers
• Act as a technical interface between the DevOps and Execution teams to ensure the automation toolset is supported and fully utilized and that scripting failures/bugs are reported back to the developers
• Create and update Release Management documentation, technical work instructions and Methods of Procedures to ensure consistent support of customer environments
• Maintain technical knowledge of vendor and Lumen’s own products through self-directed learning
Skills and Experience - Minimum Requirements
The Release Management Engineer is ideally skilled across both Microsoft Windows Server and Red Hat Enterprise Linux operating systems in enterprise environments, possessing a superior knowledge in one of these operating system technologies with a working knowledge of the other or a willingness to upskill. Minimum requirements as follows:-
• 2+ years’ proven experience in a technical support or software implementation role working with Microsoft Windows Server Operating Systems (Windows 2012/2016/2019) in an enterprise environment
• Industry experience of Operating System patch management for Windows Server, RHEL and/or VMware ESXi
• Highly organized and able to work under pressure with minimal supervision
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Track record of learning new tools and technologies
Skills and Experience - Preferred Requirements
• ITIL Foundation Certification
• One or more professional certifications (e.g. MSCA, MCSE, MCITP, RHCE, RHCA, VCP, Azure, AWS)
• Industry experience of Operating System patch management for Windows Server, RHEL and/or ESX at an enterprise level
• Working knowledge of patch management for Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) in an enterprise environment e.g. RHN / RHSM
Associates or Equivalent in Computer Science
Requisition #: 301531
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
Salary Min :
Salary Max :
This information reflects the anticipated base salary range for this position based on current national data. Minimums and maximums may vary based on location. Individual pay is based on skills, experience and other relevant factors.
This position is eligible for either short-term incentives or sales compensation. Director and VP positions also are eligible for long-term incentive. To learn more about our bonus structure, you can view additional information here. We're able to answer any additional questions you may have as you move through the selection process.
As part of our comprehensive benefits package, Lumen offers a broad range of Health, Life, Voluntary Lifestyle and other benefits and perks that enhance your physical, mental, emotional and financial wellbeing. You can learn more by clicking here.
Note: For union-represented postings, wage rates and ranges are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreement provisions.
Salary Min :
Salary Max :
This information reflects the base salary pay range for this job based on current national market data. Ranges may vary based on the job's location. We offer competitive pay that varies based on individual experience, qualifications and other relevant factors. We encourage you to apply to positions that you are interested in and for which you believe you are qualified. To learn more, you are welcome to discuss with us as you move through the selection process.
Maternity leave coaching
Backup child care
Child care subsidies
Unconscious bias training
Remote work policy
Part time policy
Short term disability
We are a global company of over 40,000 professionals, dedicated to empowering businesses to produce amazing things. Driven by the challenges and opportunities of the 4th Industrial Revolution, we’re helping to change how people interact and how companies acquire, analyze and act on data with flexible, intelligent, secure and collaborative solutions built for the next generation of business.