m of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Clearfield, UT.
A successful candidate will be responsible for assisting the Advanced Technology Group in developing, defining and improving materials related products and services as measured by customer satisfaction, safe execution, new process development, quality consistency. The selected candidate will operate as a principal investigator over IRAD and Process Service project schedules and budgets.
This position reports to the Manager of Advanced Technology Group.
The Advanced Technology Group is focused on identifying and progressing high value R&D projects that drive company and sector future revenue growth. Candidate will have an in depth understanding of polymer science and chemistry, composite processing, and be responsible for developing the technical solutions for new product pursuits and process improvements for existing programs that increase efficiency and reduce cost. Projects will be focused on multi-functional composites, resin/elastomer systems (chemistry and characterization) and advanced materials for composite fabrication for use in aircraft assemblies and other complex aerospace structures.
- Develop processes and optimize material solutions for pilot scale fabrication of complex composite materials. Plan and execute the transition to production scale manufacturing and assist in defining equipment and floor plan needs.
- Develop new material systems that are amenable to composite layup, fiber placement and other automated composite fabrication techniques.
- Solve technical issues using root cause methodologies based on underlying scientific principals and an understanding of chemical processes
- Identify and develop technical solutions that meet IRAD and Process Service project goals
- Provide technical decisions and recommendations based on data and project outcomes
- Lead development efforts to reduce cost, increase process efficiency, and ensure consistent quality in support of current and future programs
- Work with internal and external partners to champion and ensure success of R&D projects
- Act as principal investigator on selected new proposals and projects
- Manage execution of the project requirements to cost and schedule objectives
- Foster an environment of cooperation and teamwork within the Process and Technology Development team
- Communicate progress to management on a regular basis
- Maintain a safe and professional work environment
- Maintain company's Business and Ethics Code of Conduct
Competencies for Success:
- Ability to multitask and prioritize
- Strong attention to detail
- Initiative, self-starter, adaptable, and high motivation for excellence
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to interface with an organization at all levels
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment
- Must have a Bachelor of Science degree in a STEM discipline AND 5 years of relevant polymer chemistry, materials and process or related experience; or a Master of Science degree in a STEM discipline and 3 years of relevant polymer chemistry, materials and process or related experience, or a PhD and 0 years of experience.
- Ability to obtain and maintain DoD Secret Clearance
- Aerospace composite materials and manufacturing methods
- Experience building and presenting technical presentations
- Experience in pre-preg, elastomers, and filming technologies
- Statistical analysis methods
- Experience in physical testing and characterization, DSC, DMA, TGA, SEM, FTIR, etc.
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of polymer terminology, chemistry and cure processes, testing and characterization methods
- Demonstrated knowledge of adhesive bonding methods, surface analysis and chemistry, and test methodology
- Active DoD Secret Clearance
- The ability to obtain and maintain Special Access Program (SAP) clearance.
Salary Range: $90,400 - $135,600
Employees may be eligible for a discretionary bonus in addition to base pay. Annual bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results. Employees in Vice President or Director positions may be eligible for Long Term Incentives. In addition, Northrop Grumman provides a variety of benefits including health insurance coverage, life and disability insurance, savings plan, Company paid holidays and paid time off (PTO) for vacation and/or personal business.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . https://U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.