he next generation of high-performance computing. Superconducting electronics forms the core of our technology, with a focus on energy-efficient computation using our patented superconducting digital logic technology, Reciprocal Quantum Logic (RQL). On a gate-for-gate basis, RQL consumes orders of magnitude less power than CMOS while running at significantly higher clock speeds.
The Advanced Capabilities division seeks experienced RF Engineers - Modeling, Simulation & Analysis to develop these technologies into high-performance computing systems. You'll work in a fast-paced team environment alongside physicists, design engineers, and superconducting foundry engineers to make these technologies a reality.
How you will contribute to the Mission:
- Contribute directly, working on design and analysis of signal integrity and electromagnetic effects in highly complex high frequency, high dynamic range mixed signal systems in a very collaborative and innovative research and development environment
- Perform analytical studies of electronic systems (integrated circuits, chip-level packaging, interposers, printed circuit boards, connectors, etc.) to support design tradeoffs
- Design and analysis activities include electromagnetic modeling (https://e.g. SSN, ISI, crosstalk, EMC/EMI) for packaging parasitic estimation, associated interconnect, PCBA and filters. All design, testing and verification efforts ensure simulated and measured results meet desired design targets, and continually improve simulation-measurement correlation
- Develop new test and simulation methods as necessary to support the above activities when demands exceed the state of the art
- Create new design strategies where possible to support functional requirements while meeting SI, PI and EM goals
- Deep understanding of RF/EMC measurement and analysis (s-parameters, eigenmodes, TDR, FFT, IF, etc.)
- Work closely with other domain experts performing related functional analyses (https://e.g. Mechanical design & analysis, circuit design & test, thermal analysis, etc.)
- Willingness to continually expand the knowledge base of yourself and the team (https://e.g. examine new research, relevant papers, seek applicable methodologies in adjacent applications, etc.)
- Coordinate related technical team activities
- Present details of work to colleagues during design reviews
- Create and manage work plans to meet or exceed schedule deadlines
- Provide written and oral summaries of work performed as needed (https://e.g. for reports)
This position will serve on-site in Linthicum, MD or Annapolis Junction, MD.
This position will be filled at the RF Engineer - Modeling, Simulation & Analysis level based on the qualifications below:
- Bachelors degree in a STEM related field with 2 or more years' of relevant experience required. Masters degree and 0 years of relevant experience
- Working knowledge of CAD/simulation tools (https://e.g. HFSS, CST Studio, Sonnet, ADS, HSPICE, SI-Wave, Sigrity) in support of design and analysis
- Experience with high frequency measurement techniques in frequency and time domains for characterizing various interconnect features such as insertion loss, return loss, impedance, and crosstalk.
- Understanding of electromagnetic theory, transmission line theory, network analysis, and high-speed measurement, calibration, and de-embedding techniques.
- Knowledge of fundamental electrical engineering and circuit design principles.
- Use of Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and proficiency in writing for reporting.
- Active https://U.S. TS/SCI with Poly Security Clearance for which https://U.S. Citizenship is a requirement
- Ansys HFSS modeling for RF packaging effects
- Experience with spectrum and network analyzer techniques for EMC measurements
- Familiarity with packaging technology (https://e.g. ceramic and laminate chip-level packages, printed circuit boards, interposers, wire bonding, etc.)
- Familiarity with cryogenic test stands, superconductivity, mechanical CTE
Salary Range: $81,000 - $121,600
Employees may be eligible for a discretionary bonus in addition to base pay. Annual bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results. Employees in Vice President or Director positions may be eligible for Long Term Incentives. In addition, Northrop Grumman provides a variety of benefits including health insurance coverage, life and disability insurance, savings plan, Company paid holidays and paid time off (PTO) for vacation and/or personal business.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . https://U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.