At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Join Northrop Grumman on our continued mission to push the boundaries of possible across land, sea, air, space, and cyberspace. Enjoy a culture where your voice is valued and start contributing to our team of passionate professionals providing real-life solutions to our world's biggest challenges. We take pride in creating purposeful work and allowing our employees to grow and achieve their goals every day by Defining Possible. With our competitive pay and comprehensive benefits, we have the right opportunities to fit your life and launch your career today.
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
Northrop Grumman Space Systems is seeking a Principal Packaging Engineer to join the Strategic Deterrence Systems Division (SDS) Logistics Team. This position is located Roy, UT.
What You'll Get To Do:
The individual in this role will design, develop, and test a wide variety of containers used for the protection, display, and handling of products. The candidate should be a motivated self-starter, disciplined and willing to work both independently and well with others, with strong time management skills and maintaining attention to detail and accuracy. This role requires a high degree of creativity and ability to solve a wide range of problems and complete understanding and wide application of technical principle, theories, and concepts in the field.
Specific tasks include:
• Frequent inter-organizational and outside customer contacts. Represents the organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects.
• Determines packaging specifications according to the nature of the product, cost limitations, legal requirements, and the type of protection required, considering need for resistance to such external variables as moisture, corrosive chemicals, temperature variations, light, heat, rough handling, and tampering.
• Designs package exteriors considering such factors as product identification, sales appeal, aesthetic quality, printing, and production techniques. Responsibilities may include documentation management and an understanding of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs).
• Reviews contract data requirements lists to meet packaging requirements, design packaging handling, storage, and transportability (PHS&T) devices, and create packaging instructions based on military (MIL-STD-2073) and commercial (ASTM) standards. Packaging designs must meet requirements to ship hardware by land, air, and/or ocean as required.
• Participates in packaging design reviews to ensure packaging, handling, storage, and transportability engineering concepts are customer compliant and support capability constraints.
• Participate in Pre-ship Readiness Reviews, led by Mission Assurance, to ensure packaging and logistics completeness and readiness of each item of hardware, prior to release for shipment to another facility.
• Create Basis of Estimates (BOE) for packaging labor, container costs, logistics support, for moderate to complex projects, based on information from contract requirements and leveraging historical Program data.
• Create, revise, and maintain drawings and specifications for container/pallet packaging requirements.
As a full-time employee of Northrop Grumman Space Systems, you are eligible for our robust benefits package including:
This positions standard work schedule is a 9/80. The 9/80 schedule allows employees who work a nine-hour day Monday through Thursday to take every other Friday off. This role may offer a competitive relocation assistance package.
You'll Bring These Qualifications:
• Bachelor of Science degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) discipline and 5 years of experience; 3 years with Master's Degree; 0 years with PhD
• 1-2 years of packaging product development and material handling design experience is required.
• Familiarity with military and commercial packaging standards such as MILD-STD-2073-1E, Military Packaging, MIL-STD-129, Military Marking for Shipment and Storage, MIL-HDBK-304, Package Cushioning Design.
• Extensive experience with Computer-Aided Design (CAD) modeling using CATIA, NX, Solidworks or similar programs.
• Transportability experience as it pertains to creating load layouts and configurations for transport trailers
• US Citizenship
These Qualifications Would be Nice to Have:
• A current DoD Secret clearance granted or re-investigated within last 6 years
• Bachelor's degree in Packaging Science/Engineering
• Familiarity with MIL-STD-1366, Transportability Analysis
• Familiarity with MIL-STD-1791C, Designing for Internal Aerial Delivery in Fixed Wing Aircraft
• Familiarity with 49 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) & International Air Transport Association (IATA) as it pertains to hazardous materials packaging, marking/labeling, and shipping.
• Hazmat Certification (Code of Federal Regulations 49)
Salary Range: $79,700 USD - $119,500 USD
Employees may be eligible for a discretionary bonus in addition to base pay. Annual bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results. Employees in Vice President or Director positions may be eligible for Long Term Incentives. In addition, Northrop Grumman provides a variety of benefits including health insurance coverage, life and disability insurance, savings plan, Company paid holidays and paid time off (PTO) for vacation and/or personal business.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/ .
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
On-ramping/Off-ramping parental leave
Child care subsidies
Backup child care
Onsite child care
Unconscious bias training
Remote work policy
Part time policy
Short term disability
Northrop Grumman solves the toughest problems in space, aeronautics, defense and cyberspace to meet the ever-evolving needs of our customers worldwide. Our 90,000 employees are Defining Possible every day using science, technology and engineering to create and deliver advanced systems, products and services. Northrop Grumman careers and internships are as varied as your interests, ...