nd Systems knowledge, as well as experience working in formal engineering life-cycle processes. The qualified candidates will create the technical vision and architectures for future opportunities and become part of Northrop Grumman's Ground Satellite Communications Team in Orlando, Florida.
NGDS is an industry leader in developing, integrating, and sustaining complex systems for the US Department of Defense, civil agencies, and international customers. Our team performs a variety of tasks leading to the successful integration, test, and deployment of complex systems worldwide.
The engineer will be working on designing and managing all aspects of the solution lifecycle, but particularly focus on early stages of transforming needs and opportunities into architectural concepts and solutions. They will create the link between problems and solutions and develop the system requirements to ensure successful solution results.
- Designs and develops system architectures, and defines key capabilities and performance requirements.
- Defines design and technology maturity constraints of the system in accordance with customer specifications.
- Develops thorough definition of system external interfaces.
- Defines system implementation approach and operational concept.
- Ensures requirements are met and evaluates performance with customer.
- Minimum of 9 years of experience with Bachelor's degree or 7 years of experience with Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical field. STEM degree required.
- Experience working within formal engineering, development, integration, requirements analysis, and/or testing processes for the development of complex systems
- Experience working with satellite communications technology system architecture, interfaces, protocols, control, planning, equipment, concept of operation, troubleshooting, policies, and/or procedures
- Knowledge base of Wideband SATCOM Operational Management System (WSOMS) or other MILSATCOM enterprise-ground system architectures.
- Knowledge base of commercial SATCOM systems and their supporting ground and management systems.
- Knowledge of the MILSATCOM and COMSATCOM market space, including knowledge of industry partners, customers, vendors, products and currently deployed ground systems
- Familiarity with Space Force and SDA acquisition processes and priorities
- Ability to articulate risks and opportunities presented by various space architectures to ground systems.
- Active US DoD Secret clearance
- Understanding of current state-of-the-art in satellite communications, networking, cloud processing and AI/ML as well as where industry and the government are heading in these areas
- Ability to apply that understanding to positioning R&D, proposal, and shaping efforts to best position NG for future success
- Experience working with various standards bodies such as IEEE, 3GPP, and MIL-STDs
- Experience coordinating with Business Development and Capture Management teams transforming customer needs into winning solutions. Experience with proposal development.
- Experience or familiarization with analysis of satellite events, troubleshooting anomalies, outages, interference, technical feasibility, interoperability
- Familiarization with DoD systems and subsystems (https://e.g. C2ISR platforms, SATCOM, data links).
- Familiarization with computer networking and cyber security principles and practices
- Understanding of radio frequency (RF) theory as it relates to communications (including satellite link performance parameters, link budgets and interference calculations)
- Knowledge of advanced satellite waveforms and modem operations.
- Cross-domain technical experience including RF communications, space-to-ground communications, network engineering, and electrical/mechanical systems.
- Understanding of different satellite orbits/missions and how each drives different aspects of ground systems performing planning, monitoring, data transfer/relay, and command/control.
- Experience and proven track record of harnessing standard system engineering processes for the development of complex systems with familiarity with some of the following areas: architecture development, systems analysis, requirements and interface management, and Engineering Review Board representation over the total systems lifecycle.
Salary Range: $112,000 - $168,000
Employees may be eligible for a discretionary bonus in addition to base pay. Annual bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results. Employees in Vice President or Director positions may be eligible for Long Term Incentives. In addition, Northrop Grumman provides a variety of benefits including health insurance coverage, life and disability insurance, savings plan, Company paid holidays and paid time off (PTO) for vacation and/or personal business.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . https://U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.