upport the Energetic Technologies and Laboratories (ET&L) Organization. The position will report directly to the Sr. Manager of ET&L and will support all areas of the Organization (Propellant and Materials Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Subscale Energetics Manufacturing, and Energetics Testing). Candidate should be an effective communicator who works well in teams, and should possess broad knowledge and experience with energetics, solid propellants, and related materials and products. They should be considered a Subject Matter Expert (SME) or able to grow into a recognized expert and Technical Lead for at least one related subdiscipline such as:
- Propellant/explosive formulation, development, scale-up, and manufacturing
- Energetic material manufacturing and synthesis
- Energetic material hazards analysis, testing, and mitigation strategy development
- Case bondliner development, processing, and adhesion science
- Physical testing and characterization of propellant and subsystem phenomena (e.g. aging and service life evaluation)
- Physics based modelling of related technologies such as: polymer mechanics, environmental degradation and aging, combustion, detonation, particle packing, rheology, etc.
- The successful candidate should have:
- Demonstrated technical leadership with significant accomplishments
- Proven track record of solving broad and complicated technical problems
- Endorsement and/or awards of achievement from peers, leadership, and/or customers
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support development and production programs through the application of knowledge and expertise to improve performance, quality and/or manufacturing throughput
- Lead one or more IRAD or CRAD project areas with accountability for the development of scope, project execution, and delivery of results
- Support proposal efforts, contract reviews, and technology roadmap development, and other strategic planning efforts
- Support or lead significant material related failure or anomaly investigations
- Identify and lead department level-continuous improvement or other strategic initiatives
- Mentor other Research Scientists on technical projects
- Participate in external academic and industry conferences
- Present at customer/government and internal technical interchanges
- Bachelor or higher Degree in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science or a related field .14 Years with Bachelors in Science; 12 Years with Masters; 9 Years with PhD.
- Experienced in the development, manufacture and qualification of solid propellants
- High ethical standards of work and personal conduct
- Willingness to work outside of standard work hours or overtime when needed to resolve issues
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment
- Skilled at building relationships and effective communication with all levels of the organization and with internal and external customers
- Able to obtain a Secret Clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship as a prerequisite
- M.S. or Ph.D.
- Familiarity with Statistical Analysis, Design of Experiments, Statistical Process Control, and Data Science
Salary Range: $142,500 - $213,700
The above salary range represents a general guideline; however, Northrop Grumman considers a number of factors when determining base salary offers such as the scope and responsibilities of the position and the candidate's experience, education, skills and current market conditions.
Employees may be eligible for a discretionary bonus in addition to base pay. Annual bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results. Employees in Vice President or Director positions may be eligible for Long Term Incentives. In addition, Northrop Grumman provides a variety of benefits including health insurance coverage, life and disability insurance, savings plan, Company paid holidays and paid time off (PTO) for vacation and/or personal business.
The application period for the job is estimated to be 20 days from the job posting date. However, this timeline may be shortened or extended depending on business needs and the availability of qualified candidates.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://https://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.