- Experience 0-5 Years
- Category Data Science
- Location New York, NY
What excites us at OnDeck? Technology. Innovation. Small businesses. We believe in our team members and power their growth through challenging them every day and offering inspiring careers. We’re all about teamwork, passion and making an impact. Oh and having fun – Whether it’s community service events, book club meetings, team get-togethers or weekly social hours in the office.
OnDeck (ONDK) uses data aggregation and electronic payment technology to evaluate the financial health of small and medium sized businesses to efficiently deliver capital to a market underserved by banks. Through the OnDeck platform, millions of small businesses can obtain affordable loans. We are changing the way small businesses borrow money by combining our passion for Main Street with cutting-edge technology. We evaluate businesses based on their actual performance, not personal credit, and that’s enabled us to say “yes” more often and faster than traditional lenders.
The Analytics team at OnDeck not only uses Big Data to make OnDeck smarter in various spheres like Sales, Marketing, Underwriting, etc. but also builds tools, systems & platforms to use data effectively & make a significant positive impact on the business. We welcome out-of-the-box thinking, resourcefulness and desire to innovate directed toward helping the company become an absolute leader in online loans to small businesses.
What we offer you:
- Medical, dental, vision, and life benefits from day one.
- Paid/flexible sick-leave, vacations, and holidays so you can take off the time that you need when you need.
- Up to four months paid parental leave for all new parents. Adoption assistance with reimbursement of up to $5K. We want you to have time to bond with your new bundle of joy.
- Order lunch on us from Seamless. You can order what you want, when you want and from where you want.
- We’ll match your 401(k) contributions and offer a discount through our Employee Stock Purchase Plan. All to complement your personal financial strategy.
- We want to help advance your career. Take classes relevant to your job and the first $5K is on us.
- Enjoy our annual company summer party, holiday party and department quarterly outings.
- Semi-annual Hackathons to give our teams a fun way to innovate together and come up with awesome ideas.
- Our partnership with SoFi gives you access to student loan refinancing, personal loans and even mortgages.
- We work hard, we play hard. Build or join an OnDeck intramural club, group, and/or sports team and be part of our OnDeck Community.
- Fully stocked kitchens with free snacks & drinks.
OnDeck Stats & In the News:
- In 2015, OnDeck & JP Morgan Chase partner to offer small business loans, named the biggest deal in the history of marketplace lending
- Our first $3 billion in loans led to 74,000 jobs and $11 Billion in U.S. economic impact.
- On December 17, 2014 OnDeck rings in the biggest NYC tech IPO since 1999
- OnDeck was New York’s largest VC-backed tech exit ever
Awards we've received:
- Fortune.com and Great Place to Work 100 Best Workplaces for Millennials, 2015
- Fortune/Great Place To Work Great Rated! People’s Picks: 20 Great Workplaces in Financial Services, 2015
- Crain’s New York Best Places to Work, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Forbes’ America’s Most Promising Companies, 2013, 2014
- Inc 500|5000, 2013, 2014
- Crain’s New York Business Fast 50, 2013, 2014
As a Data Scientist at OnDeck, you will:
- Apply econometric and other empirical tools in innovative ways to guide pricing decisions.
- Bring together tools and information from multiple stakeholders across the company to ensure our pricing policies are always competitive, sustainable, and matched to customer need.
- Work in a dynamic environment as a founding member of a small, rapidly growing, nimble team with a wide, evolving mandate. (Be a pioneering member of a pioneering team at a pioneering company).
- Help design, monitor, and analyze Special Learning Initiatives to test hypotheses and uncover insights about our customers’ needs and the business lending environment.
- Make a direct, quantifiable impact on OnDeck’s explosive growth.
Qualifications for success:
- A strong analytical background with advanced training in econometrics, applied statistics, or related field.
- Established track record of producing empirical research results that inform innovation.
- Strong communication skills (including data visualization), and a penchant for effectively presenting findings of complex analyses to non-analytical audiences.
- Familiarity with analytical and inference techniques for experimental, quasiexperimental, and non-experimental data; comfort working with both small and very large datasets.
- Experience using R, Python, Stata, or other statistical computing tools.
Nice-to-haves (not required):
- Experience with PostgreSQL databases
- Advanced training or research experience in applied microeconomics
- Experience with Unix/Linux scripting, object-oriented programming
- Experience working with small business owners, or as a small business owner yourself.