HR Business Partner, People Operations Team
- Experience 5-10 Years
- Category Human Resources
- Location Arlington, VA
The People Operations team is committed to OnDeck’s rapid growth by being proactive and nimble; by building high-quality partnerships that delight the OnDeck community. Our passion is people, and we are singularly focused on finding and retaining stars. And we always take our jobs seriously, but never ourselves.
As the Manager of People Operations, your role reports into the Director of People Ops and will work alongside the business leaders to develop strong multi-year talent plans that ensure a consistent, high performing workplace. Our goal is to develop, enable and retain great people.
Partners with Arlington office leaders, managers and team members to identify, prioritize, and build organizational capabilities. Demonstrates OnDeck’s Leadership Expectations and Values. Acts as a champion of OnDeck culture. Initiates workforce analysis and organization design activities with business leaders to ensure structure and staffing are proactively managed to meet short and long term business goals and desired retention is achieved. Ensures change management activities within the business that have team member impact are executed in a timely, professional and lawful manner and that communications regarding change are clear, concise and consistent. Facilitates L&D programs developed by our learning specialists. Ensures core People Operation’s processes (e.g., performance acceleration, talent reviews, compensation, talent acquisition, etc.) are clearly communicated and understood by managers and team members. Recommends process improvements or changes that will improve the effectiveness and/or efficiency of the client groups in Arlington. Ownership of employee relations for the VA office in partnership with established peoples operations practices. Builds strong relationships with NY and CO People Operations colleagues to create learning opportunities and share best practices.
180 Day Objectives
- Establish strong, proactive People Ops leadership presence in Arlington office.
- Drive leader led communication regarding culture survey including skip level meetings to reinforce progress from 2015 feedback.
- Facilitate actions from Career Development and Performance Acceleration meetings for Managers including performance management and individual development plans for team members.
- Prepare Managers for bi-annual performance acceleration including communication of process, calibration of ratings, and compensation discussions.
- Re-engineer the recruitment process in Arlington based on the needs of the business.
- Learn our business and develop strong relationships and trust quickly.
Ideal Candidate Qualifications
The Business Partner must possess the following experiences and characteristics:
- Industry: Experience working within a high growth, rapidly changing culture.
- Building Businesses: Demonstrated track-record of helping Mangers identify and recruit talent that has contributed to growing the business or firm.
- Change Leadership: A history of personally influencing behavioral and philosophical change among business leaders.
- Self-Sufficient: Able to leverage support groups to scale execution but also able to personally develop practical tactical tools and templates when the need arises.
- Advice: Seen as a trustworthy source of advice and counsel with experience coaching leaders.
- Ownership: Experience and confidence to take ownership for the full impact of people operations delivery.
- Relationship Building: Successfully builds strong working relationships from a geographical distance.
- Human Resources Knowledge: Broadly skilled in a variety of human resources disciplines and a track record of applying insight to improve business results.
- Detail Orientation: An ability and confidence to process high volume of work while maintaining an eye for the detail required that eliminates rework.
- Talent Management: Experience in hiring talent, building succession pipelines, assessing and (re)designing org structures, coaching on performance management, and working with Managers to identify develop opportunities for their talent
- Agility: Ability to deal with ambiguity, tight timelines, multiple priorities, and demanding environments. Thrives in a fast-moving, constantly changing environment.
- Bachelor's degree
- Master’s degree preferred
- Seven to ten years of progressive HR responsibility and experience; a minimum of six years of HR Generalist experience
- SPHR/ PHR/ SHRM-CP/ SHRM-SCP preferred
- Knowledge of VA employment law practices preferred
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following:
- Talent Development by:
- Inspiring others to stretch and challenge themselves to contribute in ways they might not otherwise think possible;
- Providing direct and constructive feedback that pushes others to develop their leadership skills;
- Results Focus by:
- Taking action to effectively and efficiently implement needed change throughout the business;
- Building a high-performing, adaptive culture that delivers superior value to our customers and other stakeholders
- Establishing clear expectations for levels of support and holding the team accountable for meeting them;