Sr. Systems Engineer (SE) - VMWare/Windows
Falls Church, VA
Business Group Highlights
The Health group provides solutions to help government healthcare agencies lower administrative costs, reduce fraud and abuse, and improve the quality of services for individuals. We also provide analytics that combine clinical knowledge with big data technology and techniques to transform petabytes of data into meaningful solutions for our customers.
The Sr. Systems Engineer (SE) - VMWare/Windows provides subject matter expertise for systems hosted within CLASSIFIED and UNCLASSIFIED networks in Falls Church, VA, They are responsible for the overall architecture, administration, and maintenance tasks on VMWare 6.x virtualization infrastructure.
They assist with a variety of tasks including, but not limited to, managing hosts and virtual machine resource allocation (CPU, memory, hard disk, network interface), perform routine maintenance (patches, updates), application functionality and availability verifications, coordination with customers on support requirements, upgrades, support for DHHQ datacenter facility issues, and system hardware issues.
Additionally, the SE works with the Cybersecurity team ensuring that the VMWare solution is documented, maintained, and ready for risk assessment as part of a system accreditation process; this involves scanning, patching, and documenting the production VMWare solution.
- Manages VMWare 6.x platform servers; plans and executes platform upgrade activities for VMWare.
- Installs, configures, maintains, administers and integrates customer systems, third party application servers, and system software and hardware within the Windows Environment.
- Reviews, analyzes and assesses Vendor's proposed changes, upgrades and needs.
- Coordinates system hardware and software testing with development teams to ensure transparent implementation and appropriate capacity.
- Coordinates and performs firmware upgrades and patch management to Operating System (OS) and Application software.
- Investigates and proposes solutions for development and customer needs to improve reliability, continuity, and maintainability for Windows systems hardware and software.
- Models potential changes within the Systems Architecture and provides a gap analysis regarding the need for tuning or changes that will enhance system performance.
- Monitors and ensures that backup data and resilience methods are scheduled and functioning appropriately.
- Provisions and loads PKI certificates on servers.
- Develop system administration documentation in support of accreditation requirements.
- Participate in or lead troubleshooting and incident resolution of complex high severity incidents.
- Accurately log/ticket, track, and resolve incidents using the Remedy ITSM system.
- Provide accurate, timely, and professional resolution on all supported incidents and issues.
- Provide a high level of professionalism and customer service.
- Provide updates to management and project leadership of all ongoing critical issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated technical competency in the following areas:
VMWare Server Virtualization (6.x)
Windows Server (2012R2, 2016)
Storage Area Networks
Network communication processes
- Familiar with administration of Active Directory (AD) directory services, server/user security through group policies objects (GPO), Windows domain infrastructure (with multiple domains), and administration of organizational units (OU).
- Experience with patch management using multiple tools (Ivanti/Shavlik, SCCM, WSUS, etc.).
- Proficient with various security assessment/hardening tools (STIG, SCAP, checklists, Nessus, etc.).
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Proven ability to work independently with limited direct supervision.
- Project management skills for setting priorities to meet project deadlines.
- Ability to understand and apply knowledge of current industry standard systems architectures.
- Strong critical thinking skills that facilitate timely problem-solving.
- Other desired experience: CommVault, SolarWinds, Citrix XenDesktop, MS Exchange, Network Administration.
- BS Degree in Computer Science, MIS, or related field (High School Diploma and equivalent technical experience and certification may be used in lieu of BS Degree).
- 8+ years experience in a technical IT role; 10+ years with BS Degree or 8+ Years with MS Degree
- 5+ years engineering or system administration experience.
- 3+ years experience supporting VMWare server virtualization.
- 3+ years experience with Windows Server 2008R2, 2012 or 2016.
- Active DoD SECRET clearance or recently active SECRET security clearance (within 24 months).
- Have or obtain requisite DoD 8570 certifications (e.g. Security + CE, CISSP, etc.) within three months of beginning position.
What matters to our nation, is what matters to us. At Perspecta, everything we do, from conducting innovative research to cultivating strong relationships, supports one imperative: ensuring that your work succeeds. Our company was formed to bring a broad array of capabilities to all parts of the public sectorfrom investigative services and IT strategy to systems work and next-generation engineering.
Our promise is simple: never stop solving our nations most complex challenges. And with a workforce of approximately 14,000, more than 48 percent of which is cleared, we have been trusted to just that, as a partner of choice across the entire sector.
Perspecta is an AA/EEO Employer - Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories.
Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this moment. Please refresh the page and try again later.
Share on your newsfeed
As a government contractor, Perspecta abides by the following provision
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)