Database Site Reliability Engineer
Join a leading fintech company that's democratizing finance for all.
Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
Just as we focus on our customers, we also strive to create an inclusive environment where our employees can thrive and do impactful work. We are proud of the competitive products and company culture we continue to build and have been recognized as:
- Glassdoor Best Places to Work 2020
- TIME100 Most Influential Companies 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces in Financial Services & Insurance 2021 and Fortune Best Workplaces for Millennials 2021
We're growing and looking for...
We continue to hire Robinhoodies at a rapid pace to drive this journey, and with that growth comes necessary change. We're seeking culture builders and curious thinkers looking to co-author the next chapters of our story. We're in build mode, majorly expanding our team while also growing up as a company. Joining now means helping shape our structures and systems, then taking part as we launch into our ambitious future.
Check out life at Robinhood on The Muse!
About the team:
We're a rapidly growing team serving a highly ambitious engineering organization. The Software Platform organization provides the infrastructure required for our product and ensures developer velocity and system stability. Our work spans multiple areas including architecture, the software development lifecycle, cloud infrastructure, networking, online data processing, reliability and more.
At Robinhood, our customers entrust us with their assets and financial data. Ensuring the safety and integrity of that data is our greatest responsibility. The Software Platform Storage team has broad responsibilities for all persistence and caching technologies in use at Robinhood, and our mandate is to make it as easy as possible for Robinhood engineers to achieve best-in-class reliability, availability and performance from our storage solutions.
What you'll do day-to-day:
- Assist with schema design, code review and SQL query tuning
- Design and build tooling and automation for the storage team
- Install, tune, implement and upgrade DBMS installations
- Provide guidance and support to our engineering teams about DBMS usage
- 3+ years experience running a large fleet of PostgreSQL databases at scale.
- Understanding the performance characteristics of database systems on commodity hardware, and a track record of optimizing those systems for peak performance.
- Ability to understand common data access patterns and provide guidance and direction to application teams as to how to optimize system usage.
- Mastery of at least one non-SQL programming language.
- Experience with oncall responsibilities (oncall is currently 24/7 for less than 1 week/month)
- Extensive kubernetes experience
- Experience with large-scale distributed systems
- Financial services experience
- ETL/batch processing architectures
- Kafka experience
Technologies we use:
- PostgreSQL, pgbouncer
- Memcached, Redis, mcrouter, twemproxy
- Python, Django/DRF
- CI/CD and test automation frameworks
- Container and container orchestration technologies (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes)
- Cloud-native infrastructure (AWS)
- Linux internals and network configuration and protocols
- Infrastructure-as-Code and configuration management (Terraform, SaltStack)
We're looking for more growth-minded and collaborative people to be a part of our journey in democratizing finance for all. If you're ready to give 100% in helping us achieve our missionwe'd love to have you apply even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we're looking for people invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Robinhood's benefits include generous time off, 401(k) participation with employer match, comprehensive health coverage, a health savings account (HSA), wellness benefits, backup childcare and education stipends (all benefits are subject to applicable taxes and based on eligibility).