Engineering Manager, Customer Care
Menlo Park, CA
Join a leading fintech company that's democratizing finance for all.
Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
Just as we focus on our customers, we also strive to create an inclusive environment where our employees can thrive and do impactful work. We are proud of the competitive products and company culture we continue to build and have been recognized as:
- Glassdoor Best Places to Work 2020
- TIME100 Most Influential Companies 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces in Financial Services & Insurance 2021 and Fortune Best Workplaces for Millennials 2021
We're growing and looking for...
We continue to hire Robinhoodies at a rapid pace to drive this journey, and with that growth comes necessary change. We're seeking culture builders and curious thinkers looking to co-author the next chapters of our story. We're in build mode, majorly expanding our team while also growing up as a company. Joining now means helping shape our structures and systems, then taking part as we launch into our ambitious future.
Check out life at Robinhood on The Muse!
About the role:
We're looking for an experienced, hands-on technical leader to build our new Customer Experience Automation team. This role is the embodiment of one of Robinhood's core values--"insane customer focus.
Customer Care is a team focused on scaling Robinhood to meet the needs of a rapidly-growing user base - building systems to allow rapid development of product additions, customer-facing tools, and support flows. We partner with all of our product teams across Robinhood, as well as the Customer Operations team, to help drive change at a company level; keeping problems that are best solved by automation close to our customers and providing them a delightful experience, while enabling our agents to quickly handle any issues that need their attention, so they can help the customer as fast as possible.
Robinhood was built from the ground up to be as efficient as possible - this team is crucial to our success as we grow, helping us to run lean without compromising on quality.
We need an engineering leader who can hit the ground running as a hands-on leader, directly creating the critical distributed systems and machine learning workflows required to build a platform that enables this kind of large-scale change. In addition to building solid, performant systems this leader will build the team from scratch--hiring great engineers, defining the team's roadmap, and both managing and mentoring the folks hired.
What you'll do day-to-day:
- Define the team's roadmap, technical direction, success metrics, and hiring strategy.
- Work as a tech lead to build the technical foundation for Robinhood's entire customer support organization and experience.
- Build solid distributed systems, machine learning pipelines, and automated workflows as well as tools to control them.
- Hire world-class engineers and manage them.
- Partner and embed with our customer operations teams and leaders in Denver, Lake Mary, and Menlo Park.
- Build and manage a distributed team across three offices (Menlo Park, Denver, Orlando).
- 8+ years of software engineering experience.
- Experience as a technical leader for a business-critical system.
- Experience managing a small team of engineers.
- Experience with scalable distributed systems, both built from scratch as well as on AWS primitives.
- Experience with Python and React.
- A focus on software engineering best practices such as testing, static analysis, continuous integration, delivery, and deployment.
- The desire to seek out the toughest technology and engineering problems and solve them with little to no guidance.
- Willingness to learn and use new technologies and touch any system to accomplish your goals.
- Extremely data-driven. You instrument and analyze everything about your systems and team.
- Enthusiastic cross-functional partner and great communicator.
- Experience building larger technical teams from scratch.
- Experience working and managing across offices and timezones.
- Experience with high-growth startups.
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience with Rust.
- Experience with Machine Learning (Tensorflow, Pytorch) and big data tools (Spark, Presto, Hadoop).
- Experience with mobile development.
- Experience with modern build systems such as Buck, Bazel, and Pants.
- Strong open source contributions.
We're looking for more growth-minded and collaborative people to be a part of our journey in democratizing finance for all. If you're ready to give 100% in helping us achieve our missionwe'd love to have you apply even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we're looking for people invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Robinhood's benefits include generous time off, 401(k) participation with employer match, comprehensive health coverage, a health savings account (HSA), wellness benefits, backup childcare and education stipends (all benefits are subject to applicable taxes and based on eligibility).