nology roadmaps. The Flight Sciences department, within Guidance, Navigation and Control (GNC) is looking for a motivated and dependable Senior Engineer with subject matter expertise in flight control system design, integration support, and performance assessment for missile systems to perform in the role of Autopilot Lead for a Strategic Missile Defense program at our Tucson, AZ location.
This is an onsite role.
Responsibilities to Anticipate:
- The Autopilot Lead will apply knowledge of advanced controls & inertial sensors to flight controls design & analysis of missile performance in simulation, ground test, and flight test.
- In this role, you will develop solutions to complex control problems and contribute to uncovering and resolving issues related to development and implementation of flight controls systems.
- You will provide guidance and oversight for the flight controls function on program efforts, from the planning phase through program execution.
- You will develop flight control system architectures and requirements, implement control laws and design flight controls algorithms to maximize program performance and robustness.
- You will develop missile state estimation algorithms, as well as derive algorithms and filters to compensate for flexible body, aeroservoelastic effects, and inertial coupling.
- Selected candidate will be required to obtain and maintain special access program clearance
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) and a minimum of 5 years of prior flight controls engineering experience.
- Experience in endo-atmospheric flight control or exo-atmospheric flight control.
- Experience with digital filtering.
- Experience with validation testing of flight control software on flight hardware.
- Experience developing or modifying code in higher level compiled languages such as Fortran, Ada, and/or C++
- Experience with MATLAB and/or Simulink
- Active and transferable https://U.S. government issued security clearance is required prior to start date. https://U.S. citizenship is required, as only https://U.S. citizens are eligible for a security clearance.
- Research and/or applied experience in advanced control design techniques in areas such as nonlinear, robust, optimal, adaptive, fault-tolerant, and real-time control
- Air vehicle autopilot design experience over a wide range of aerodynamic regimes such as subsonic, transonic, supersonic, hypersonic, and non-continuum flows.
- Experience with supplier coordination and assessing GNC system integration risks through test data analysis.
- Performance analysis by simulation, including verification and validation techniques
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with senior leadership and other engineering disciplines
- Strong collaboration skills and experience leading a GNC-focused development team
- Master’s or PhD Degree in an Engineering discipline, Computer Science, Math or Physics
What We Offer**:**
Whether you’re just starting out on your career journey or are an experienced professional, we offer a total rewards package that goes above and beyond with compensation; healthcare, wellness, retirement and work/life benefits; career development and recognition programs. Some of the benefits we offer include parental (including paternal) leave, flexible work schedules, achievement awards, educational assistance and child/adult backup care.
* Please consider the following role type definitions as you apply for this role.
- Onsite_: Employees who are working in Onsite roles will work primarily onsite. This includes all production and maintenance employees, as they are essential to the development of our products._
- Hybrid_: Employees who are working in Hybrid roles will work regularly both onsite and offsite. Ratio of time working onsite will be determined in partnership with your leader._
- Remote_: Employees who are working in Remote roles will work primarily offsite (from home). An employee may be expected to travel to the site location as needed._
This requisition is eligible for an employee referral award. ALL eligibility requirements must be met to receive the referral award.
This position is located in beautiful Tucson, AZ. Tucson has a friendly, caring and laid-back atmosphere, combined with the innovation and energy of a metropolitan region and recognized as one of America’s 10 Best Small Cities. Surrounded by beautiful mountains, colorful Sonoran Desert landscape and majestic saguaro cacti, Tucson is blessed with some of nature’s best work. Tucson is known for its bright blue skies, and with more than 310 sunny days per year, Tucson’s fantastic weather lets residents enjoy the outdoors year-round.
RTX is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms