United States of America
MA131: Tewksbury, MA Bldg 1 Assabet 50 Apple Hill Drive Assabet - Building 1, Tewksbury, MA, 01876 USA
Position Role Type:
At Raytheon, the foundation of everything we do is rooted in our values and a higher calling – to help our nation and allies defend freedoms and deter aggression. We bring the strength of more than 100 years of experience and renowned engineering expertise to meet the needs of today’s mission and stay ahead of tomorrow’s threat. Our team solves tough, meaningful problems that create a safer, more secure world.
The Control Systems section within the Sensor Power Department (SPD) has an exciting employment opportunity for a Senior Engineer with motion control experience. This role requires an understanding and working knowledge of classic control theory and vector control of electric motors; familiarity with IGBT- or MOSFET-based power electronics inverters used as motor drives (including rectifier front end); and familiarity with induction and permanent magnet electric machines.
The Control Systems section is a team of engineers responsible for supporting the design, development and validation of power and actuation (servo) subsystems for various radar systems and other defense applications.
As a Senior Engineer – Motion Control you will be responsible for supporting and driving the execution of product development projects. You will be working as or with a Team/Technical Lead and under the guidance of an Integrated Product Team (IPT) Lead.
SPD is responsible for design engineering including the following areas:
- Power System Design - Power System Noise, System Simulation and Modeling, Solid State Transmitters, Tube Transmitters, High Voltage Design, Power Sources, Generators
- Power Conversion - AC/DC, DC/DC and DC/AC, Linear and Switching Supplies, Power Factor Correction (PFC), Zero Voltage Switching (ZVS), Resonant Circuits, Synchronization, Noise Controls
- Power Distribution - Ground, Air, Shipboard, and Space, Power Generation, Line Voltage, High Current, Low Voltage, Micro-Power, DC, AC, Multi-Phase Power Control, Fault Reporting, Isolation, Protection Circuits, Redundant Systems
- Power Sub-System Design - Filters, Harmonic Control, EMI, Circuit Simulation, Magnetics, Protective Relay Systems, Short Circuit and Stress Analyses
- Control Systems – Servo Control Systems, Motor/Power/Process Control, Digital Feedback Systems, Command Generation, Inertial Stabilization, Navigation Algorithms
This position is an onsite role
Responsibilities to Anticipate:
- Designing and evaluating servo control hardware and/or software solutions to meet system operational and performance requirements
- Developing models and controllers for actuation systems (including mechanical subsystems)
- Establishing performance, stability and control metrics along with the algorithms necessary to achieve them
- Supporting system integration efforts
- Ownership and execution of scope, cost and schedule within programs and projects with minimum supervision
- Defining tasks and providing direction to junior-level engineering and support staff
- Work in a multidisciplinary team environment focused on execution and engineering excellence, using established business, and engineering tools and processes
- Travel to Marlborough, MA; Andover, MA; Woburn, MA; and/or Pelham, NH may be required depending on the assignment.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) major.
- 5+ years of experience in power system design, power conversion, power distribution, power sub-system design and/or control systems
- Experience in modeling and simulation using PSPICE, MATLAB/Simulink, or similar computer-based tools.
- Experience with hardware and software implementation of closed-loop position/speed control actuation systems
- Experience with 1-100 kW systems (bus voltages in the range of 270-1000 VDC)
- Experience in control system design using Matlab/Simulink or equivalent
- The ability to obtain and maintain a https://U.S. government issued security clearance is required. https://U.S. citizenship is required, as only https://U.S. citizens are eligible for a security clearance.
- Understanding and working knowledge of classic control theory and vector control of electric motors
- Familiarity with IGBT- or MOSFET-based power electronics inverters used as motor drives (including rectifier front end
- Familiarity with induction and permanent magnet electric machines.
- Prior experience as engineering Team Lead (hardware, electrical or integration)
- Understanding and working knowledge of non-linear systems and control theory
- Hands-on experience with PWM or SVM for voltage modulation in power electronics inverters
- Hands-on experience with software (https://i.e. DSP) or firmware (https://i.e. FPGA) implementation of vector controllers for electric machines
- Hands-on experience designing power electronics inverters or controlled rectifiers
- Ability to create system models capturing implementation-specific characteristics such as propagation delays, quantization, discrete time, sensor non-linearities, etc.
- Familiarity with Hardware-in-Loop (HIL) systems and their use for motion control applications
- Understanding and working knowledge of project management (including EVMS)
- Understanding and working knowledge of requirements management (including DOORS)
- Familiarity with commercial or military power input/quality requirements and specifications (DO-160, MIL-STD-704, MIL-STD-1399 or MIL-STD-1275)
- Existing US DoD security clearance
What We Offer**:**
Whether you’re just starting out on your career journey or are an experienced professional, we offer a total rewards package that goes above and beyond with compensation; healthcare, wellness, retirement and work/life benefits; career development and recognition programs. Some of the benefits we offer include parental (including paternal) leave, flexible work schedules, achievement awards, educational assistance and child/adult backup care.
- Onsite: Employees who are working in Onsite roles will work primarily onsite. This includes all production and maintenance employees, as they are essential to the development of our products.
This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. The Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office (DISCO), an agency of the Department of Defense, handles and adjudicates the security clearance process. More information about Security Clearances can be found on the US Department of State government website here:https://www.state.gov/m/ds/clearances/c10978.htm
RTX is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms