Join the Clean Energy Revolution
Become a Planning Advisor at Southern California Edison (SCE) and build a better tomorrow. Local Planning supports SCE’s electrical distribution system by developing and designing plans for residential and commercial customers, providing cost estimates and options for the construction of distribution facilities.
As a Planning Advisor, your work will help power our planet, reduce carbon emissions and create cleaner air for everyone. Are you ready to take on the challenge to help us build the future?
A day in the life - Get ready to think big, work smart and shine bright!
- Manage numerous complex, critical, and sensitive design projects from inception to construction completion with follow-through on policies, procedures, rules, rates, completion dates, and ensuring compliance of electrical designs.
- Define the scope and operational requirements for preparation of preliminary electrical and civil design including necessary permits, environmental requirements, and coordination for eventual construction.
- Prepare and review work order documents, work order drawings, and complete final work order packages.
- Forward completed work order packages to sponsor organization and updating all internal systems as required.
- Coordinate activities with cross-functional teams from customers, drafting technicians and engineers to other utilities, local governments, and construction crews.
- Act as a mentor to provide guidance and instruction to other team members.
- Occasional lifting of typically less than 40lbs.
- Work in various weather conditions. Possibly even in remote regions – the coast, desert, mountains across California.
- Five or more years of experience in electrical utility distribution service planning or equivalent position in substation, transmission, or generation.
- Possess a valid Driver License.
- Advanced experience with electric utility engineering principles, construction standards, and industry practices.
- Must be willing to work on call on a 24-hour basis for the assigned work location.
- Managed multiple critical projects with project management principles, tools, and techniques effectively under tight time constraints, shifting priorities, and making critical decisions with minimal supervision.
- Fluent with CAD based designs to analyze or design engineered civil drawings.
- Determined scope of work, method of service, and construction methods for overhead and underground facilities.
- Experience as senior staff, providing leadership, direction, training and mentoring to staff.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Customer focused to understand and appropriately respond to clients’ business needs.
You should know
- This position’s work mode is hybrid. The employee will report to an SCE facility for a set number of days with the option to work remotely on the remaining days. Unless otherwise noted, employees are required to reside in the state of California. Further details of this work mode will be discussed at the interview stage.
- Visit our Candidate Resource page to get meaningful information related to benefits, perks, testing, hiring process, and more!
- Position will require 30% traveling and being out in the field throughout the SCE service territory.
- This position requires testing and applicants who are identified to continue through the selection process will be invited to test via email. Reference our Information Guides for the following tests: Edison Individual Contributor Workstyles (Test #8203) and EEI TECH (Test #5107)]. Candidates who have previously passed these assessment(s), in some cases, may not need to retest again for this position.
About Southern California Edison
The people at SCE don't just keep the lights on. Our mission is so much bigger. We’re fueling the kind of innovation that’s changing an entire industry, and quite possibly the planet. Join us and create a future with cleaner energy, while providing our customers with the safety and reliability they demand. At SCE, you’ll have a chance to grow personally and professionally, making a real impact in Southern California and around the world.
At SCE, we celebrate our differences. We are a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.
We are committed to ensuring that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodations at (833) 343-0727.