Join the Clean Energy Revolution
Become a Technical Planning Advisor at Southern California Edison (SCE) and build a better tomorrow. In Technical planning you’ll be responsible for overseeing and/or preparing complex electrical designs for a number of internal organizations.
As a Technical Planning Advisor, your work will help power our planet, reduce carbon emissions and create cleaner air for everyone. Are you ready to take on the challenge to help us build the future?
A day in the life - Get ready to think big, work smart and shine bright!
- Communicate with customers, Distribution Engineering, and other internal organizations to determine technical requirements regarding the design of new client-driven projects.
- Define the scope and operational requirements for preparation of preliminary electrical and civil design.
- Coordinate design activities for all infrastructure replacement programs, including, among others, WCR circuits, capacitors, deteriorated structures, cable replacement, switch replacement, and AR replacement programs.
- Oversee the design of major under grounding projects and new circuits.
- Coordinate with Distribution Engineering, Civil Construction, PMO, Drafting, Environmental, and other internal organizations to create electrical designs for new distribution circuitry (DSP).
- Prepare work order documents, preparing and reviewing work order drawings, and completing final work order packages.
- Order materials and identifying expected construction labor and timeframes.
- Complete all necessary contracts, invoices, and easement requests.
- Apply for necessary permits, FAA approval and submitting environmental reviews to prepare project for eventual construction.
- Forward completed work order packages to sponsor organization and updating all internal systems as required.
- Assist Designers and other team members with technical issues.
- Act as a mentor to Planner and Designer classifications, while providing assistance, guidance and instruction to other team members.
- Maintaining a safety conscious work environment by following Edison safety protocols and safe work practices.
- Performing other responsibilities and duties as assigned.
- Five or more years of experience working in an electrical utility distribution service planning function in transmission or distribution.
- Possess a valid Driver’s license.
- Thorough knowledge of engineering principles, construction standards, and industry practices.
- Experience with CAD based design.
- Experience determining scope of work, method of service, and construction methods for overhead and underground facilities.
- Experience preparing distribution work orders or construction plans on projects.
- Experience analyzing and/or designing engineered civil drawings.
- Experience using interpersonal skills to handle customer relations issues in an effective manner, which result in win-win situations.
- Experience managing multiple and/or sensitive projects and functioning effectively under tight time constraints, shifting priorities and making critical decisions with minimal supervision.
- Experience serving as a project leader for the design and implementation of design projects, as well as planning, influencing, anticipating, and communicating conditions, trends and corrective actions in operational areas.
- Experience as senior staff, providing leadership, direction, training and mentoring to staff.
- Must have strong oral and written communication skills, and be customer focused to understand and appropriately respond to clients’ business needs.
- Ability to accurately analyze information and make sound decisions that have considerable business impact.
- Ability to interface effectively and collaborate with clients, peers, management, and other work units.
- Ability to take initiative and accountability for the accuracy and quality of information and for achieving results.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Able to drive, traverse on uneven surfaces, occasionally lift up to 40 lbs, sit/stand for extended periods of time, work in various weather conditions, and possibly be in remote regions (coast, desert, and mountain) for extended periods of time.
You should know...
- Work Mode: When a return-to-office date has been determined, this position’s work mode is hybrid. The employee will report to an SCE facility for a set number of days with the option to work remotely on the remaining days. Unless otherwise noted, employees are required to reside in the state of California. Further details of this work mode will be discussed at the interview stage.
- Visit our Candidate Resource page to get meaningful information related to benefits, perks, resources, testing information, and hiring process, and more!
- Position will require 20% traveling and being out in the field throughout the SCE service territory.
- This position requires testing and applicants who are identified to continue through the selection process will be invited to test via email. Reference our Information Guides for the following tests: EEI TECH (Test #5107). Candidates who have previously passed these assessment(s), in some cases, may not need to retest again for this position.
About Southern California Edison
The people at SCE don't just keep the lights on. Our mission is so much bigger. We’re fueling the kind of innovation that’s changing an entire industry, and quite possibly the planet. Join us and create a future with cleaner energy, while providing our customers with the safety and reliability they demand. At SCE, you’ll have a chance to grow personally and professionally, making a real impact in Southern California and around the world.
At SCE, we celebrate our differences. We are a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.
We are committed to ensuring that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodations at (833) 343-0727.