About Spectrum Networks Fellowship: Spectrum Networks is seeking talented, creative, technical, highly self-motivated, and enthusiastic individuals to join our team of Fellows! From first interview through program completion, we offer students a competitive and exciting learning experience which will position you for future news journalism and production opportunities. We take great pride in nurturing up-and-coming stars of tomorrow by providing a robust news experience with Spectrum News 1. Selected candidates will gain a unique opportunity to work with award-winning employees who support the organization’s growth, subscriber retention and profitability.
About Spectrum Networks: Spectrum Networks is a series of over 30 hyper-local news and
regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum
Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and
thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
Experience You Will Gain: Spectrum Networks Fellowship provides you with meaningful, real-world experience that will aid in developing confidence and marketable skills for the future. Our Fellowship will have you working in a professional setting that integrates what you have learned in the classroom. The experience of being a Spectrum Networks Fellow will provide you the experience and tools to be a full-time employee upon completion!
Spectrum Networks fellowship provides opportunities in the following areas:
You will be trained as an MMJ with the goal of turning at least 3 to 4 stories that will air on Spectrum News 1. These stories will be yours to use for your resume reel. You will learn how to use all of our video and audio equipment and be trained how to edit and produce a story on your own. You will also work with our Spectrum News 1 MMJs to see how a professional reporter does their job and you will learn how to research story ideas and pitch those ideas to managers. You will meet with your mentor each week to talk about your progress and receive feedback on your work.
Digital Producer Track
You will be trained as a Digital Producer with the goal of working through a breaking news situation – from writing and posting to story to sending a push notification and social media out in a timely fashion. You will learn how to use our content management system and other programs. You will work with the Spectrum News 1 digital team on your copy writing and AP style. You will also learn how to properly organize and prioritize an app home screen and website home page. You will meet with your mentor each week to talk about your progress and receive feedback on your work
You will be trained as a Producer with the goal of producing a half hour newscast. This newscast will be yours to use for your resume reel. You will learn how to us Dalet, our news production operating system. You will also learn how to edit video for our newscasts and create graphics. You will work with Spectrum News 1 producers on your copy writing. You will also learn how to stack a newscast and time it properly. You will meet with your mentor each week to talk about your progress and receive feedback on your work.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Participate and complete each track’s module and select one to specialize in
• Complete tasks and projects assigned by mentors
• Attend fellowship development activities as scheduled
• Be enthusiastic, communicative and open to learning new things every day!
Skills/Abilities & Knowledge
• Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and work under time pressure deadline
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; ability to clearly communicate solutions; ability to relate well with diverse populations
• Ability to interface with internal company personnel and build relationships
• Requires ability to adapt proactively and positively solve problems
Eligibility Requirements: Only the best and brightest need apply. To be considered for a Spectrum Networks fellowship you must:
• Be in pursuit of a Bachelor or Graduate degree
• Current class standing of Senior or Graduate Student
• Students must be 18 years of age or older
• Must have a valid driver’s license for authorized driving in the state of residence
• Must have authorization to work in the U.S
• Must be willing to participate for a term of 9 Months (minimum of 20 hours weekly)
• Ability to work a flexible schedule that may include weekends and holidays to cover breaking news events and gain experience working for a 24 hour news channel GGN102 336479 336479BR
Spectrum's Product and Services are powered and innovated by Charter Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: CHTR), the leading broadband communications company and the second-largest cable operator in the United States. Our company provides a full range of advanced broadband services, including Spectrum TV™ video entertainment programming, Spectrum Internet™ access, and Spectrum Voice™. ...