At AES, we raise the quality of life around the world by changing the way energy works. Everyone makes an impact every day in our small, global teams. Apply here to start an extraordinary career today.
AES Clean Energy is seeking an experienced Pre-Construction Project Estimator to support the development, construction and operation of DG and utility-scale PV solar and PV+battery storage facilities from 2MW to 250MW in size. This position will be responsible for managing and coordinating AES CE solar EPC budgets for solar and energy storage technologies for US based projects.
The successful candidate will have experience in solar and energy storage and will be comfortable operating in a very dynamic environment. The candidate must be able to work on multiple projects at the same time, be able to develop relationships with suppliers and different business groups, and be a reliable self-starter.
AES Clean Energy is currently seeking a Project Estimator to manage budgets and economical evaluations required for Solar PV and Energy Storage projects during their early development phases. This role will also support the EPC bid evaluation process and contract negotiations needed for execution and change order negotiations. The successful candidate will coordinate cost reviews, and collaborate in contract negotiations, supply chain and logistics, value engineering, and creation of databases and processes for pre-construction and bidding procedures.
This position will be based in Louisville, CO, working closely with AES’s internal Business Development, Engineering and Construction teams, while reporting to Director of Pre-Construction, and will focus on commercial, DG and utility-scale solar projects.
• Help coordinate Pre-Construction Team’s responses to new development opportunities by providing feasibility, intermediate and advanced EPC cost estimates based on varying levels of site-specific project design information
• Build, refine and develop estimating / cost tools and databases, including the use of time and motion studies, and construction activity analysis
• Ability to collect, manage and apply historical cost and schedule data from existing projects to future projects.
• Help develop the use of new CAD-enabled estimating tools and incorporate into existing estimating process
• Prioritize the development, analysis and completion of estimates and / or proposals in terms of complexity and company importance.
• Lead/contribute to the development of conceptual estimates and pricing strategies and assumptions
• Ability to analyze, critique and evaluate estimates provided by EPCs, suppliers and contractors, and make contract award recommendations to Construction Team.
• Work with other functions and disciplines from across the company to understand and evaluate the labor, material and other direct and indirect costs associated with proposed projects
• Have a full understanding of regional labor markets, Union Labor structures, and prevailing wages etc.
• Be comfortable collaborating with and managing multi-disciplinary teams to facilitate robust and successful RFP responses
• Review design information and provide ‘red-flag’ feedback to help BD teams assess risk during analysis of potential new project acquisitions
• In-depth knowledge and experience with construction processes and sequencing, with emphasis on renewable energy projects.
• In collaboration with the procurement team, prioritize and formalize relationships with solar PV equipment vendors and EPC contractors. Establish preferred pricing and terms for AES project pipeline.
• Be accountable for pricing and supplier management during pre-construction and construction phases.
• Help manage RFPs and scope of work packages for 3rd party EPC and O&M contractors. Participate in contractor selection and contract negotiations.
• Support the project execution team by providing scheduling support and EPC contract/change order cost review
• Have good knowledge of the existing EPC and equipment marketplace, and apply to future forecasts.
• Exceptional organizational, communication, decision making/problem solving, analytical and time management skills
• Passion for the renewable energy industry
Skills and Qualifications:
• +7 years professional experience in utility-scale renewables estimating role.
• Strong technical, supervisory and project management skills in renewables industry; familiarity with project controls for engineering, procurement, and construction
• Excellent familiarity with PV equipment and energy storage components, design information (layouts and one-lines) and technical standards.
• Knowledge of HV, Sub-Station and Switching-Station estimating is an advantage
• Familiarity with wind technology is a plus.
• Preference given for experience navigating the construction and tax equity financing for renewable energy projects.
• Strong proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Quickbase, CPM scheduling, and Microsoft Project or Primavera P6.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint as well as Adobe Acrobat.
• Superior communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal.
• Outstanding interpersonal skills, including an ability to maintain calm and effective exchanges by all parties during stressful situations.
• Excellent organizational skills demonstrated by clear and effective project plans and executive level reporting that ensure timely action and decision making in time-pressured scenarios.
• Spanish language skills a plus.
AES is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to building strength and delivering long-term sustainability through diversity and inclusion. Respecting all backgrounds, differences and perspectives enables us to improve the lives of our people, customers, suppliers, contractors, and the communities in which we live and work. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and/or expression, race, national origin, ethnicity, age, religion, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law. E-Verify Notice: AES will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Safety comes first at AES. To protect the health and safety of our people, customers, communities and partners, and to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, AES requires all newly-hired people or current AES people applying for U.S.-based role(s), to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or be willing to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their date of hire. Except where prohibited by law or not specifically covered in a collective bargaining agreement, new hires and transfers will be required to provide proof of vaccination during onboarding and periodically thereafter. This policy will comply with all applicable laws and is based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local health authorities, as applicable.
The world no longer thinks of energy as a matter of supply and demand. Now it’s a space for innovation and partnership. With this transformation comes a responsibility to work with a smarter approach, new thinking informed by past experiences, and with stronger collaboration between regulators and innovators, old systems and new technologies.
At AES, we partner with our organizations ...