TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Our mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy. TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul and Tokyo.
Why Join Us
At TikTok, our people are humble, intelligent, compassionate and creative. We create to inspire - for you, for us, and for more than 1 billion users on our platform. We lead with curiosity and aim for the highest, never shying away from taking calculated risks and embracing ambiguity as it comes. Here, the opportunities are limitless for those who dare to pursue bold ideas that exist just beyond the boundary of possibility. Join us and make impact happen with a career at TikTok.
The System Technology & Engineering team has been committed to the research and engineering development in the basic technology fields, such as operating system kernel and virtualization, construction and performance optimization of basic system software and library, stability and reliability assurance of large-scale data center, collaborative design of next-generation hardware and software, etc. Armed with comprehensive and solid software engineering capabilities, the team aims to guarantee day-to-day business operations of ByteDance Inc. Meanwhile, the team actively follows the new technology trend, and embraces open source communities and industry standards.
We're growing quickly across the EMEA region. From a handful of people concentrated in a couple of countries to the rapid expansion we see today. This year, we've got our work cut out to ensure we keep pace and deliver the reward experience that people expect from an emerging tech leader.
About the team:
You will be working within the System Technology and Engineering (STE) team based in London. This team has been committed to the research and engineering development in the primary technology fields, such as operating system , various virtualization technologies (Cloud Native, SDN, NFV), performance optimization of system software and libraries, stability and reliability of large-scale data center, collaborative design of next-generation hardware and software, etc. We actively participate in open-source communities and incorporate cutting-edge technology and innovation into our products.
Something about the role:
- You will be designing and implementing Linux Kernel to meet global business requirements.
- Debug complex, system-level, multi-component issues that typically span across multiple layers from kernel to application. Profile performance problems and drive optimizations that span the entire software stack.
- Responsible for the research and application of new technologies in the operating system / kernel
- Proficient in Linux kernel, at least read the source code of 2-3 main modules (scheduling, file system, network, I/O, memory management, etc.);
- 5+ years experience working on systems software in a large-scale C code base.Demonstrated knowledge of operating systems internals on at least one platform;
- Experience with Software Development processes including: source control, bug tracking,
- and design documentation;
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in cross-functional teams
- Rich experience in kernel debugging or community patch submission is preferred;
- Experience in multi platform (x86 / arm / risc-v) kernel and system development is preferred;
- Understand the implementation of virtualization technology (Xen / KVM, etc.), read the relevant source code is preferred;
- Understand the implementation of DPDK/VPP/OVS is preferred.
TikTok is committed to creating an inclusive space where employees are valued for their skills, experiences, and unique perspectives. Our platform connects people from across the globe and so does our workplace. At TikTok, our mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy. To achieve that goal, we are committed to celebrating our diverse voices and to creating an environment that reflects the many communities we reach. We are passionate about this and hope you are too.