Our Fortune 500 company is driving a digital transformation and looking for forward-thinking innovators to disrupt how our industry thinks about and uses technology. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers, we help millions of people gain affordable access to benefits that help them protect their families, their finances and their futures.
Are you an asker of questions, a solver of problems, and a challenger of the status quo? Our mission is to provide a differentiated customer experience and exceed the expectations people have of technology at any company — not just insurers.
We are seeking individuals to join our team of talented IT professionals who share never-ending passion and an unwavering focus on our customer experience. Team members comfortable working in an agile, fast-paced, and delivery-focused environment thrive in our environment where we value an entrepreneurial spirit and those who challenge the status-quo.
Unum is changing, and we’re excited about what’s next. Join us.
Do you have a knack for tackling complex, cross-functional projects and a passion for mentoring others? If so, we invite you to join our team and showcase your ability to manage projects across our various domains.
The Senior IT Project Manager will lead the charge in managing large, intricate, and cross-functional projects that are vital to our Total Leave Absence applications. Your expertise, skills, and toolset will be crucial in driving these projects to successful completion.
Project responsibilities encompass a wide array of activities, including but not limited to defining clear and attainable objectives, orchestrating and guiding teams to achieve these objectives, striking a balance among competing factors such as quality, scope, schedule, and budget, and adapting to diverse stakeholder concerns and expectations.
Additionally, this role carries the responsibility of mentoring colleagues and actively contributing to the continuous enhancement of the company's project management capabilities and expertise.
This is a hybrid position located in Atlanta (Sandy Springs), GA, Chattanooga TN, or Portland, ME.
- Bachelor's degree, or equivalent relevant work experience.
- 6+ years of experience with a focus in finance, project management, software development, or IT is preferred. Prior technical background is a plus.
- PMP designation is preferred.
- Proven experience partnering with application development, DevOps, and Scrum teams to drive/execute enterprise upgrades.
- Working knowledge of FINEOS is a plus.
- Strong understanding of technical and software development terminology.
- Extensive industry knowledge of claims, insurance, benefits, leave of absence.
- Extensive knowledge/understanding of Agile methodologies.
- Effectively uses technical project management tools.
- Extensive knowledge of logical data model/management.
- Exceptional ability to work effectively in a dynamic, rapidly changing business and technical environment.
- Exceptional initiative and ability to set stretch goals.
- Exceptional ability to negotiate effectively with business and IT partners on business requirements and timeframes on large initiatives.
- Exceptional ability to rally support among peers and work effectively in challenging situations.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to balance the need to gather detail with the need to solve the problem.
- Conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
- Facilitation and elicitation skills.
- Exceptional consultative advisory skills.
- Exceptional ability to effectively articulate difficult ideas and concepts through clear and concise verbal or written communication.
- Exceptional ability to identify and apply different communication mediums based on content and audience at all levels (both internal and external to Unum) to achieve intended goal.
- Has advanced PC skills (Excel, Power Point, Word, etc.).
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Delivers results for medium and large cross-functional project initiatives within established timeframes and quality measures.
- Utilizes advanced level project management skills and extensive knowledge of the System Development Lifecycle (SDLC) methodologies to manage assigned projects.
- Consults with business leaders to translate a project idea into a defined project with goals, objectives and scope.
- Identifies resources needed, negotiates with people managers as required to lead a project team, ensuring clarity of project roles and responsibilities, so that all project plans are completed within defined timeframes, meeting objectives and strategic goals.
- Develops and implements communication and reporting mechanisms to manage issues, risks, and timely delivery of initiative results. Translates project goals and objectives into a defined future state and project success measures that can be understood by project stakeholders, project team, and others.
- Ensures business needs and objectives are effectively captured in functional and non-functional business requirements for a system, process, or workflow.
- Oversees business requirements to meet expected business solutions and traces delivery of requirements through testing to final implementation. Generally, understands business requirement management and quality management in order to provide expected business solutions. Manages project quality through activities such as conducting appropriate reviews, obtaining approvals, and taking corrective action when necessary, with mentoring by a more experienced program manager, if applicable.
- Ensures that project documentation is complete, current and archived appropriately.
- Articulates project management best practices with peer group and others within Unum, as applicable.
- Contributes to adjustments to the corporate system development methodology.
- Proactively identifies barriers and resolves issues, determining contingency plans (executing as needed), while mitigating risk. Escalates issues to appropriate audiences for awareness and/or additional support.
- Proactively establishes and maintains cooperative, productive cross-functional partnerships on current projects and deliverables and prepares for future project opportunities.
- Promotes the benefits of change and acts as a catalyst for change across the corporation and adapts to changes imposed by others.
- Organizes and directs the activities of cross-functional project teams. Prioritize tasks to meet deliverables and commitments on time. Ensures that project members’ time and experience is well utilized. Recommends alternatives/options to minimize any schedule delay.
- Shares project experience/knowledge and mentors others across the corporation to help build project management skills.
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best – both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.
The base salary range for applicants for this position is listed below. Unless actual salary is indicated above in the job description, actual pay will be based on skill, geographical location and experience.
Additionally, Unum offers a portfolio of benefits and rewards that are competitive and comprehensive including healthcare benefits (health, vision, dental), insurance benefits (short & long-term disability), performance-based incentive plans, paid time off, and a 401(k) retirement plan with an employer match up to 5% and an additional https://4.5% contribution whether you contribute to the plan or not. All benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of individual Plans.