The Senior Manager, Portfolio Governance will be part of the Office of the CIDO and is responsible for building, implementing, championing and continuously improving US Foods’ technology portfolio, program, project and product governance practices. This is a key role reporting to the Director of Project and Portfolio Governance and seen as a thought leader over Portfolio Governance and best practices regarding executive portfolio measurements and KPIs.
The Sr. Manager, Portfolio Governance role should have solid experience developing portfolio governance practices and developing industry standard alignment metrics, including OKRs and KPIs. Relationship management skills will be vital. This role will build strong partnerships with Sr. Directors, Delivery Leads, Program Managers, Project Managers, Scrum Masters, and other value delivery leaders. Through strong relationships this role will ensure that partners understand and adopt governance processes, clarify delivery value drivers, maintain PPM data maturity, and practice sound financial stewardship of the portfolio.
Flexible Work Policy: The work for the Sr Mgr Portfolio Governance position is completed 100% remotely anywhere in the United States except Hawaii or United States Territories. This position may have the potential to travel up to 20% dependent on business needs.
• Responsible for the design and implementation of portfolio management governance processes.
• Define and implement project management execution standards for the organization and standardize how they support portfolio governance and monitoring processes, notably in agile methodology.
• Review existing US Foods practices and continue to evolve our governance framework so that they are aligned with industry leading practices in managing programs and projects.
• Develop and implement governance and delivery processes that clarify for all external business function teams and the Enterprise Program Office how to work with the IT delivery teams and IT value streams.
• Develop and implement processes that ensure that the IT delivery teams are prioritizing work effectively and remain aligned to IT strategic initiatives.
• Implement demand planning process, distilling work, mapping to business strategies and goals, and presenting in a digestible format for all stakeholders.
• Develop project and portfolio governance metrics and feedback measurements to ensure professional delivery of projects. according to industry leading practices, standards, and methodologies
• Develop and implement outcome-based portfolio and project performance metrics and present these to the IT Leadership Team as part of the review of all major IT initiatives.
• Facilitate monthly IT portfolio reviews with the IT Leadership Team.
• Present the IT portfolio metrics and status to senior audiences across external business PMO departments and the Enterprise Program Office.
• Facilitate additional portfolio governance ceremonies that support approvals, prioritization, and risk management.
• Facilitate the portfolio prioritization of efforts with both the IT Leadership Team and the Expanded IT Leadership Team members.
• Support the management, training, coaching, mentoring and performance of a group of experienced project and product leaders.
• Coach, mentor and train product owners, scrum masters and project managers to ensure common knowledge, skills and tools and practices are adopted, while still providing freedom for autonomy within a delivery framework (embedding agile first principles and processes within the team).
• Work closely with the IT Finance team to set the annual operating plan strategy, working across IT teams to consolidate bottom up and top-down enterprise plans.
• Facilitate monthly and annual management of forecasting across the IT delivery organization.
• Initiate and manage highly collaborative cross functional relationships with all functional teams to optimize shared processes and meet stakeholder requirements
• Provide oversight for large complex programs with governance over workstreams to ensure quality delivery through effective methodology.
• Timely escalation and reporting of any portfolio, program or project issues to Executive Management and various management and risk committees.
• Ensure change management is well planned and executed across change initiatives.
• Contribute to building an IT PM COE to ensure platform available for ongoing discussions
• Advisor to ITLT on portfolio risks/opportunities and aid in the running of special assignments to continue to drive us forward.
• Development and oversight of our PPM tool, aid in user adoption, and instill best practices.
• Other duties as assigned by manager
• VPs within IT and occasionally VPs in business functions
• Domain leading directors and product delivery leads within IT and all business functions
• VPs and directors within the enterprise program office and within business function PMOs
• Program managers, project managers, scrum masters, and product owners within all IT value streams
• Project managers and project owners within the business functions
• Consultants, contractors, technology vendors and staffing vendors
• Must possess a minimum of 8 years of experience in Project, Program and Portfolio management or governance in complex multi-functional organization using PMI best practices in traditional and agile delivery
• Must possess a minimum of 3 years in a leadership role
• Experience working in a PMO organization in a leadership role preferred
• Capable of establishing and analyzing project metrics, portfolio metrics, reporting on metrics utilizing PPM tools to Senior Leadership on Enterprise Prioritization Committee.
• Experience with project stage gates, and governance best practices associated with key deliverables per stages
• Effective influence, negotiation, and collaboration skills, as well as communication skills to all levels of the organization
• Familiarity with portfolio financials as related to metrics of portfolio delivery
• Prior experience using Agile and waterfall methodology required
• Prior experience applying proven project management methodologies to large mission critical projects
• Excellent leadership skills, relationship management skills, and the ability to manage and motivate any direct and indirect reports
• Proven record of accomplishment leading and developing teams
• Comfortable managing and influencing stakeholders in a matrixed, cross functional organization
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent presentation skills with the ability to conduct presentations comfortably to large groups
• Experience with executive leadership communications and reporting
• Ability to present and train changes to operating mode to large audiences of diverse stakeholders
• Experience in multi-vendor eco system with ability to manage conflicts/escalations
• Experience leading complex projects and program implementations
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required
• Master’s degree or equivalent work experience preferred
• Scrum Master Certification and/or PMP certification preferred
• Prior people management experience highly preferred
• PPM Tool - MSFT's Project Online (PWA) or MS Project Professional desktop experience highly preferred
• Prior experience building a PMO and managing a staff in a PMO setting
• Experience leading associates with management experience
• Experience with enterprise project portfolio prioritization
The following information is provided in accordance with certain state and local laws. Compensation depends on experience, geographic locations, and other factors permitted by law. In Colorado, the expected compensation for this role is between $100,500 and $134,000. In New York, the expected compensation for this role is between $119,600 and $159,500. In California, the expected compensation for this role is between $113,600 and $151,500. In Washington, the expected compensation for this role is between $113,600 and $151,500. This role is also eligible for annual incentive plan bonus. Benefits for this role include health insurance, pre-tax spending accounts, retirement benefits, paid time off, short-term and long-term disability, employee stock purchase plan, and life insurance. To review available benefits, please click here: https://www.usfoods.com/careers/benefits.html.
EOE Race/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Protected Veteran/Disability Status