Advanced Network Technician
Hancock County, IN
What you’ll be doing...
We’re investing in our network to improve the way we live, work, and communicate. Our network transformation will be critical for all our future connectivity businesses including new products such as IoT, 5G, and future smart cities. As part of this network transformation, you will help build one network engineered for growth for all lines of business.
This is a unique opportunity to join the Wireline Network Global Operations team as we gear up to support the build plan for our OneFiber program. Our team is responsible for installing, testing, repairing and maintaining the technology that keeps millions of our customers connected.
You’ll be responsible for the fiber splicing and termination as well as the installation, monitoring, testing and maintenance of telecommunications and associated electronic equipment and wiring per specifications and operational procedures, both in technical facilities as well as on customer property.
- Testing and diagnostic procedures on equipment according to published equipment standards.
- Fiber locates, monitoring of construction activity, fiber splicing and termination.
- Assembling, installing, and testing transmission equipment channel banks, channel service units (CSU), digital service units (DSU), modems, routers, etc.
- Handling installation of routers, bridges, multiplexers, concentrators, etc.
- Conducting periodic maintenance on company transmissions supports equipment.
- Conducting maintenance of new and existing circuits through troubleshooting and fault isolation techniques.
- Utilization of local and remote test systems to isolate and resolve customer circuit outages.
- Managing coordination of testing and turn up of service with all involved providers until the customer’s service is up and working.
Must be able to perform physical requirements of the job, with or without a reasonable accommodation, including, but not limited to, perceiving differences in wire cable colors, moving and/or lifting items such as ladders, tools, air tanks, cable reels, test equipment and other objects weighing up to 100 pounds, working aloft; climbing ladders and poles, and entering tunnels, buildings, trenches, crawl spaces, manholes, and other confined spaces to accomplish job tasks.
This job requires working the on call rotation and occasional weekends.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or one or more years of work experience.
- Valid driver's license.
- Ability to perform physical requirements of the job, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Willingness to travel.
Even better if you have:
- A degree.
- Two or more years of experience in telecom/wireless industry with recent technology.
- Knowledge of electronics, electricity and transmission systems turn-up and test procedures.
- Equipment knowledge including, but not limited to, transmission equipment manufactured by Nortel, Siemens, Fujitsu, Alcatel, and Ciena.
- Knowledge of SONET ring, DWDM and WDM fiber systems.
- Advanced troubleshooting skills to support all transmission levels, DS1 – OC192 including Ethernet.
- Knowledge of Customer Premise Equipment installation and troubleshooting.
- Knowledge of Fiber Splice and Cable Prep procedure.
- Knowledge Fiber MPO/MTU installation and placement (Multi Point Optical Connector/Multi Terminal Unit).
When you join Verizon...
You’ll have the power to go beyond – doing the work that’s transforming how people, businesses and things connect with each other. Not only do we provide the fastest and most reliable network for our customers, but we were first to 5G - a quantum leap in connectivity. Our connected solutions are making communities stronger and enabling energy efficiency. Here, you’ll have the ability to make an impact and create positive change. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, join our team of the best and brightest. We offer great pay, amazing benefits and opportunity to learn and grow in every role. Together we’ll go far.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.