Director, Design Systems
New York County, NY
What you’ll be doing...
The Verizon Design Team is a growing internal group tasked with evolving the Verizon customer experience across all channels and touchpoints through the design and implementation of innovative products and services. Working across offices in New York City and the Verizon campus in Basking Ridge, NJ, the team is assembling the brightest designers, design strategists, researchers, and product managers to collaborate with teams shaping the future of connected customer experiences.
About this role As Director of Design Systems, you will drive the continued evolution and adoption of a world-class, multi-channel Design System comprising a visual language, an interaction language, a verbal and audio language, patterns for use, and coded templates and components for implementation. You will manage & oversee teams, provide creative direction, interface with teams across our B2C, B2B, Media, Technology, and Marketing divisions, and be accountable for the successful development and integration of the Design System into hundreds of millions of dollars of development work that enables billions of customer touchpoints. One in three Americans uses Verizon services, so your work will have meaningful impact at a massive scale.
You will work closely with a highly collaborative team of product designers, user researchers, product managers, marketers, technologists, and business leaders - providing them with the tools to bring their ideas to life.
In addition, you will have the opportunity to shape and expand your role into other areas that can be systematized, including but not limited to, Design & Experience Principles, Content Creation, and Customer Life Event Mapping.
This Director will:
- Serve as an accomplished design leader who builds teams and maintains relationships internally with our partners, and externally with the design community at large
- Be responsible for project success, delivering best-in-class customer experiences, and the growth and morale of your team
- Drive the overall user experience strategy for brand-defining experiences across a range of consumer-facing products and furthering the impact and reach of the design organization within the company
- Build teams of future leaders by recruiting, hiring, growing, and retaining talented designers
- Provide design vision and expertise in senior stakeholder meetings, building trusted relationships with product, tech, and business partners
- Contribute to the strategic and operational design decisions for the Customer Experience organization
- Facilitate and inspire creative concepting. Challenge designers to responsibly push the boundaries during concept phases
- Plan and facilitate team activities to identify appropriate design problems, solutions, and opportunities within project brief and business context. Recognize when to make a decision and commit to a direction
- Plan and facilitate iteration and critique to improve solution quality and support user, business and technical requirements
- Recommend and facilitate design activities and methods to guide teams and partners through ambiguous project periods. Assess needs of team members and provide resources where possible
- Identify activities and communications necessary to deliver digital product strategy ideas to a partner. Build a shared understanding of how the method and tone of communication impacts the project
Leadership and Mentorship
- Create transparency into your decision-making process, and recognize valid challenges to your point of view. Externalize choices and behaviors so that team can understand the rationale
- Gain an understanding of the goals of individuals on the team. Provide real-time, constructive feedback on project performance and impact on their careers. Represent goals in resource management processes
- Ramp up new team members, including business context, product positioning and strategy
- Help the team see value in the work. Coach team on project dynamics, collaboration, and interpersonal communication
- Plan for, coordinate, and facilitate meetings with staff and partners to gather feedback, make decisions, and determine next steps
- Recognize, track, and communicate issues, accomplishments, milestones, to team and partners
- Monitor and regularly communicate progress to team and partners related to project goals
- Participate in resource planning with partners to articulate the appropriate project team and duration for your project
- Maintain and manage appropriate team size and mix of capabilities
- Assess gaps in availability, competency, and time
- Cultivate relationships and shape opportunities for great work
- Facilitate teams to define product roadmaps, prioritize new features and enhancements, and recommend feature sets for phased product releases
- Participate in/facilitate project definition and estimation to shape activities, timeline, and resource plan that align with client objectives and approach
- Identify partner needs and shape project approaches to match them
- Make partners stronger and provide thought leadership around design-led processes
- Play gatekeeper for the type of work your team takes on
- Be a model and a resource for all employees, proactively engaging with others to make the design organization better
- Contribute constructive, thoughtful critique real-time and in the performance feedback process. Provide input to role change and performance discussions
- Visibly participate in internal initiatives, including the practice and the learning program. Lead by example
- Participate in the recruiting and hiring process
What we’re looking for...
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in design or a related field, or equivalent experience
- 10 or more years of relevant design experience leading multi-disciplinary design teams to solve complex digital product design problems
- Proven ability and experience building world-class Design Systems and driving adoption
- Experience working with executive stakeholders to:
- Shape projects to address business problems and technical possibilities
- Set expectations and facilitate alignment on requirements, process timeline, and deliverables
- Persuasively present design solutions and explain their benefit to the customer and the business
- Demonstrated ability to lead and mentor to teams who:
- Digest and translate complex business and technical requirements
- Plan, gather, and synthesize user needs
- Create world-class design solutions
When you join Verizon...
You’ll have the power to go beyond – doing the work that’s transforming how people, businesses and things connect with each other. Not only do we provide the fastest and most reliable network for our customers, but we were first to 5G - a quantum leap in connectivity. Our connected solutions are making communities stronger and enabling energy efficiency. Here, you’ll have the ability to make an impact and create positive change. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, join our team of the best and brightest. We offer great pay, amazing benefits and opportunity to learn and grow in every role. Together we’ll go far.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.