Network Planning Engineer - Data Center
Somerset County, NJ
What you’ll be doing...
The Network Planning group under Global Technology Services Network and Unified Communication organization is looking for a self-motivated and forward thinking engineer to support the development and planning of the GTSNUC Enterprise Core WAN, Data Center, Internet DMZ, and Extranet infrastructures. As a senior level member of the technical staff, you will be interacting with system engineers, operations staff, vendor partners, and business partners to develop evolution strategies to keep the GTSNUC network efficient and relevant to emerging technologies. Proactive design initiatives, high level communication skills, and development of next generation solutions are key functions of the Network Planning team.
New technology development and testing.
Develop complex Data Center, Core WAN, and DMZ topology projects.
Perform capacity planning analysis of data center and core WAN infrastructure.
Provide valuable input to team designs.
Develop new network standards
Maintain complete technical knowledge of the network.
Provide project status to the management team.
Self-driven control of technical/educational growth.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
Six or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have:
- A degree
- Seven or more years of data networking experience (LAN/ WAN and Layer 2/ Layer 3) in a service provider network or large enterprise network environment.
- Strong Layer 2/ Layer 3 network architectural design and engineering experience.
- Strong understanding of MPLS, BGP, OSPF, and LAN technologies.
- Experience with Python, XML, or YANG scripting languages.
- Experience with Cisco networking equipment.
- Proven ability to manage complex multi-organizational projects.
- High motivation, self-starter approach, and demonstrable leadership skills.
- Ability to work independently and effectively under tight time constraints and deliver accurate results.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Professional level network certification or higher.
- Understanding of QoS and network security functions (firewalls, VPN, IPS, ect).
- New technology development and testing experience.
- Network operational troubleshooting and network monitoring/ analysis experience.
- Capability to communicate and manage priorities effectively to meet deliverables.
- Strong problem-solving skills and an aptitude for learning new technologies with minimal oversight.
- Willingness to travel.
When you join Verizon...
You’ll have the power to go beyond – doing the work that’s transforming how people, businesses and things connect with each other. Not only do we provide the fastest and most reliable network for our customers, but we were first to 5G - a quantum leap in connectivity. Our connected solutions are making communities stronger and enabling energy efficiency. Here, you’ll have the ability to make an impact and create positive change. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, join our team of the best and brightest. We offer great pay, amazing benefits and opportunity to learn and grow in every role. Together we’ll go far.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.