Principal Technical Standards Engineer
What you’ll be doing...
We’re looking for an amazing Principal Technical Standards Engineer to join our aviation strategy team. You’ll be working in an exciting startup environment within the foundation of a large company (Verizon). You will have the freedom and autonomy to do your best work, with the support and camaraderie you need to enjoy your job. In this role you will be contributing to the future of connected aviation within Verizon’s New Business Incubation team.
As a Principal Technical Standards Engineer, you will play a vital role in aligning Skyward’s and Verizon’s standards efforts across a diverse array of industry standards groups. In this role, you will drive Verizon’s aviation interests in applicable telecommunication standards, and bring knowledge of telecommunications technology to aviation standards. You’ll work with our Aviation Network Technology product and engineering team to develop inputs to standards and translate standards into product requirements. The role will be part of a cross-discipline team focused on enabling 4G LTE and 5G connectivity in the drone and urban air mobility industries.
- Develop Aviation Standards
- Refine our knowledge of the various airborne connectivity standards by engaging with our market and all stakeholders, including applicable regulatory agencies.
- Use this knowledge to prioritize and define what standards Skyward & Verizon should develop, which we should monitor, and which we should actively counter.
- You’ll also work with the Verizon and Skyward teams to fold aviation standards into our products right from initial design all the way to implementation and sale to customers.
- Contribute to Telecommunication Standards
- You will lead our efforts in telecommunications standards as it relates to aviation.
- This means writing contributions and designing study items in 3GPP, GSMA, IEEE, or ISO standards working groups.
- This will also require cross-collaboration between internal Verizon stakeholders and our aviation product teams.
- Effectively communicate your knowledge of standards, product requirements, and needs to stakeholders in everyday verbal and written communication.
- Convey the value of what Skyward & Verizon offer today and are creating and planning for the future -- to external stakeholders, Verizon and Skyward colleagues, and the market at large.
- Write a variety of project briefs, standards contributions, and requirements -- as well as presenting -- to your peers, leadership, and standards bodies.
- Maintain a trusted relationship with stakeholders, which include but are not limited to: Verizon wireless and wireline network organizations, Engineering, Policy, Product, Marketing, Sales, Flight Operations, and executive management.
- Manage and coordinate our inputs to applicable industry standards related to our connected aviation products.
- Make clear decisions that promote well-defined, timely Verizon/Skyward capabilities and communicate our positions to concerned stakeholders.
- Communicate with Product and Policy teams about the status of relevant work and provide key points for new feature development and product launch communications.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience in the telecommunications or aviation industries.
- Experience developing standards with diverse industry stakeholders.
- Experience with FAA-regulated aviation products, such as avionics systems.
Even better if you have:
- A degree.
- Ten or more years of relevant work experience in the telecommunications or aviation industries.
- Standards development experience in API-based technology, web service communication, cellular networks, and MNO services.
- Experience in global standards and international technology policy.
- Strong knowledge of aviation and telecommunications systems, new technology development, and software systems in regulated and or standardized markets.
- Project Management experience, including management of cross-functional and/or cross-area projects.
- Strong engineering or research background and willingness to learn the deep technical aspects of a technology you aren’t familiar with.
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm about the drone industry, including manned or unmanned pilot experience.
- Clear communication ability - written and oral - as well as presentation skills. The aptitude to effectively relay complex information to others.
- A strong sense of urgency and bias toward action with the ability to think on your feet.
- Strong collaboration skills and the ability to work with and motivate team members, peers and leadership. You should be a peer leader who maintains a team orientation, with the desire to collaborate to reach excellent results.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- A great sense of humor and drive to have fun.
When you join Verizon...
You’ll have the power to go beyond – doing the work that’s transforming how people, businesses and things connect with each other. Not only do we provide the fastest and most reliable network for our customers, but we were first to 5G - a quantum leap in connectivity. Our connected solutions are making communities stronger and enabling energy efficiency. Here, you’ll have the ability to make an impact and create positive change. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, join our team of the best and brightest. We offer great pay, amazing benefits and opportunity to learn and grow in every role. Together we’ll go far.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.