Wabtec Corporation is a leading global provider of equipment, systems, digital solutions and value-added services for freight and transit rail. Drawing on nearly four centuries of collective experience across Wabtec, GE Transportation and Faiveley Transport, the company has unmatched digital expertise, technological innovation, and world-class manufacturing and services, enabling the digital-rail-and-transit ecosystems. Wabtec is focused on performance that drives progress, creating transportation solutions that move and improve the world. Wabtec has approximately 27,000 employees in facilities throughout the world. Visit the company’s new website at: http://www.WabtecCorp.com.
It’s not just about your career… or your job title…it’s about who you are and the impact you are going to make on the world. Do you want to go into uncharted waters…do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else's life better? Wabtec has been doing that for decades and we will continue to do so! Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, Wabtec delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
Wabtec Passenger Transit is a leader in the design and manufacture of brake equipment, mechanical and electric couplers, and associated electronic control systems for mass transit trains worldwide. Our parent company is headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA with manufacturing sites across the world. Log on to www.wabtec.com for more information.
The Bogie Brake Product Engineering team selects from our or our sister division catalogs andor design and develops brake units (Disc Brake Units, Tread Brake Units, Discs, Magnetic Track Brakes, or Hydraulic brake units) according to customer specifications.
Duties and Responsibilities:???
- Promotes a “Safety First” culture that extends into design approach and decision making.
- Responsible for the Bogie Brake team and design work including verification of correctness, quality, and reliability throughout the product life cycle.
- Reinforces accountability with team to assure that commitments are met, and that best-in-class design practices are followed.
- Position will assure positive and proactive interface of team with other internal functions and external customers.
- Assures group awareness and adherence to WPT business and design processes, policies, and procedures
- Clearly communicates and flows down directives from management to the team.
- Identifies technical and resource gaps within team and develops a mitigation plan
- Works with all stakeholders to plan and implement process improvements that will make the group more efficient while still maintaining accuracy and integrity of the team output.
- Reviews and approves technical engineering documents within function including Engineering Change Requests from team to assure quality and validity of changes being requested for the product.
- Assigns Resources and coordinates/schedules technical deliverables for projects.
- Tracks and reports on identified key performance indicators (KPIs) for the team.
- Uses statistical engineering (FMEA and “risk reduction”) on designs.
- Reviews and understands customer technical specifications and industry standards regarding technical requirements (materials, qualification, and performance requirements) of the product.
- Analyzes and develops solutions for technical issues as it relates to product development, safety issues, or reliability.
- Optimizes product performance requirements, cost, and reliability.
- Maintains design documentation as it relates to CMMI, ISO, IRIS and WPT best practices.
- Design solutions utilizing engineering software (i.e. SolidWorks, ANSYS, etc.) to evaluate and release three-dimensional (CAD) and two-dimension (drawing) files.
- Supports Operations (Sourcing, Supply Chain, Methods, Quality) and Customer Service teams on OEM, R&D, or aftermarket projects
- Other duties, as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications:? (To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.)
- BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering from a university recognized by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, ABET.
- Previous experience in leadership role is preferred but candidates with a desire and drive to enter technical leadership will be considered.
- Minimum 5 years proven experience in the development life cycle (from interpretation of a requirements specification through design, development, validation, and assessment) of electro-mechanical components/products required.
- 5-10 years of relevant experience in mechanical design, preferably in a manufacturing industry that involves machining and assembly.
- Experience with braking equipment such as calipers, disc, actuators preferred.
- Knowledge of differing manufacturing processes such as molded plastics, machining, welding, forging and casting of metals.
- Experience in developing products, components, or systems for rail transit applications or harsh environments a plus.
- Knowledge of CMMI/ISO/IRIS a plus.
Competencies,?? Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Preparedness to provide technical mentoring and oversight of Bogie Brake product engineering team, develop standardized design approaches for common practices, and relentlessly pursue continuous improvement of our technical performance and development of safe, reliable, and cost-effective products.
- Ability to make decisions, problem solve and approach designs based on application of engineering principles and not solely on practical experience.
- Accountability through strong attention to detail and emphasis on meeting commitments
- Ability to utilize and improve upon WPT’s current processes, systems, and culture
- Ability to work within project schedules, budget constraints, and a matrix organization.
- A high degree of self-discipline and self-motivation are required.
- Ability to communicate, in written and oral form, detailed and technical engineering information, guidelines and standards/statutes/codes/regulations to various audiences to ensure understanding to seek compliance.
- Ability to make decisions and act consistent with available facts, constraints, and anticipated consequences.
- Interpersonal skills needed when dealing with all levels of internal and external organizations.
- Strong skills in the usage of graphical presentation, databases, spreadsheets and word-processing software are required.
- Experience with 3D CAD modeling and 2D drafting, preferably SolidWorks
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products
Authority:? (Defined decision making level. The Plant GM is the main authority at site level. To be able to give authority, any employee in the organization shall first receive it from their manager or upper level, up to the General Manager.)
All WPT employees have the authority to stop the process they are performing, should the process become unsafe or the outputs non-conforming.??★?
Physical Demands: (The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- Employee is frequently required to sit and occasionally required to stand, walk, and handle items in an office environment.
- Employee travel is expected to be less than 10% (domestic and possibly international).
Work Environment: (The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.)
- The employee will normally work in a temperature-controlled office environment, with frequent exposure to electronic office equipment.
- The employee will be required to work alongside personnel in a manufacturing environment while wearing required personal protective equipment.
Current work schedule includes two workdays of remote work on Monday and Friday and on-site work Tuesday-Thursday. However, engineer needs to be ready to be available on site on any day.
Wabtec Corporation is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that commitment we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles…people like you! Wabtec Corporation is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or protected Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.