Wabtec Corporation is a leading global provider of equipment, systems, digital solutions and value-added services for freight and transit rail. Drawing on nearly four centuries of collective experience across Wabtec, GE Transportation and Faiveley Transport, the company has unmatched digital expertise, technological innovation, and world-class manufacturing and services, enabling the digital-rail-and-transit ecosystems. Wabtec is focused on performance that drives progress, creating transportation solutions that move and improve the world. Wabtec has approximately 27,000 employees in facilities throughout the world. Visit the company’s new website at: http://www.WabtecCorp.com.
It’s not just about your career… or your job title…it’s about who you are and the impact you are going to make on the world. Do you want to go into uncharted waters…do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else's life better? Wabtec has been doing that for decades and we will continue to do so! Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, Wabtec delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
This position is responsible for planning, developing, and implementing an effective health & safety and loss prevention program for both the Wabtec Swiger Coil and Cleveland Service Shop locations. Outlines and implements various training programs on site about employee safety procedures and accident prevention. The role of this position is to provide leadership and coaching to the sites by creating a proactive approach to safety and health in the workplace. Ensures that sound safety and health management systems are in place, anticipating, recognizing, and evaluating safety and health hazards, assisting with problem solving and monitoring and continuously improving the performance of the sites’ safety and health systems. This position will be visible and interacting with all employees concerning health and safety, assessing hazard conditions, and implementing practices to reduce those hazards. Develop a proactive and collaborative approach at the sites to create a healthy and safe working environment.
- Develop, communicate, and maintain safety and hazardous communication programs and systems. Oversee the effective operation and administration of these systems and programs to ensure a safe work environment and culture of zero accidents.
- Tracks safety performance.
- Lead group’s safety initiatives.
- Develop training programs to improvement the quality of incident investigations.
- Develop and maintain JSA’s (job safety analysis).
- Conducts training programs on various safety related programs.
- Develop systems, procedures and processes that can be deployed to achieve an injury free workplace.
- Assists with developing written policies and procedures for various safety programs and emergency evacuation and safety communication bulletins.
- Identify root causes of near misses, injuries, and property damage to prevent future events of the same nature.
- Coordinate and conduct periodic safety audits and inspections to identify and address any unsafe work practices and conditions.
- Reviews all work-related injury investigation reports and ensures that identified, addressed, and corrected any hazard conditions. Verifies corrective measures have been taken to avoid any repeated accidents.
- Oversees all training programs for supervision and employees on safety practices, fire prevention and correct handling techniques.
- Assists operations and engineering on matters related to ergonomics and continuous improvements when new workplace projects are being developed to ensure any safety and health issues are adequately addressed prior to the startup of the process.
- Ensures that hazard assessments are conducted, and communications requirements are implemented and followed.
- Collaborates with human resources with the development of a safety training program to support onboarding process through site awareness training for new hired employees, including contractors, before being related into the workplace.
- Coordinates industrial hygiene surveys including noise, ventilation, chemical and ergonomic. Analyze and interpret data and recommend elimination/reduction of potential hazards in the workplace. Coordinate employee testing (i.e. hearing conservation).
- Designs and delivers safety related communication, including signs, posters, barriers, and other materials to warn of potential and actual safety hazards and to prevent access to hazardous conditions.
- Reviews all correspondence required by regulatory agencies, including OSHA reporting requirements, and any environmental reporting.
- Oversees the administration of workers compensation program at each site, including working with the insurance carrier to reduce employee lost time and cost control of workers compensation costs.
- Develops, reviews, and maintains responsibility for security programs at each location. Ensures security vendor efficiency. Reviews security vendor costs.
Qualifications / Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in safety engineering science or related discipline from an accredited university or college
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in a plant safety role
- Knowledge of safety and health regulations and applications
- Knowledge and understanding of with governmental compliance including OSHA regulations, environment compliance, industry standards and right to know compliance
- Experience identifying risk conditions and defining corrective actions programs
- Understanding of workers compensation laws and regulations for various states,
- Experience with facilities maintenance and building codes
- Professional safety certifications such as ASP or CSP
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Excellent verbal and written communication/language skills required to include the ability to provide written and verbal instructions, compile, and present business reports/correspondence, and present information clearly.
- Presentation skills with the ability to speak in public effectively and provide presentations to groups of employees.
- Strong leadership, coaching skills, conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
Wabtec Corporation is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that commitment we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles…people like you! Wabtec Corporation is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or protected Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.