Wabtec Corporation is a leading global provider of equipment, systems, digital solutions and value-added services for freight and transit rail. Drawing on nearly four centuries of collective experience across Wabtec, GE Transportation and Faiveley Transport, the company has unmatched digital expertise, technological innovation, and world-class manufacturing and services, enabling the digital-rail-and-transit ecosystems. Wabtec is focused on performance that drives progress, creating transportation solutions that move and improve the world. Wabtec has approximately 27,000 employees in facilities throughout the world. Visit the company’s new website at: http://www.WabtecCorp.com.
It’s not just about your career… or your job title…it’s about who you are and the impact you are going to make on the world. Do you want to go into uncharted waters…do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else's life better? Wabtec has been doing that for decades and we will continue to do so! Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, Wabtec delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
- Directly reporting to the Quality Assurance and Business Improvement Manager.
- The role is primarily driving the business in Lean Enterprise Transformation to ensure business deliverables consistently meet and exceed customer expectations and fully aligns to the year-on-year overall company growth targets.
- Coach and support working groups in identifying and implementing opportunities for LEAN/Continuous Improvement throughout the business employing numerous well proven tools and techniques in” Breakthrough improvement”, visual management, standard operations, standardisation, repeatable processes, level scheduling, value stream mapping and statistical process control.
- Developing the leadership team and their reports by introducing and coaching Lean Production principles in 5S, Kaizen, Kanban, SMED, poke-yoke, JIT, Jidoka, 5 Why’s, visual controls and gathering / analysing data to turn it in to useable information from concept through feasibility to implementation**.**
Key Accountabilities/ responsibilities:
Ensure compliance with legislation, regulations, and Business Management procedures and processes always.
Works with cross-functional teams to identify, plan and execute business and site improvement projects.
From identified improvement opportunities, undertake cost-benefit analysis and forecast the impact to business in performance improvement, efficiency gains and cost avoidance / cost reduction.
Calculate Lean savings and benefits realised through projects, working with Finance and project sponsors to achieve agreed objectives.
Utilise and adopt recognised process improvement methodologies such as Lean/ Kaizen/ PDCA as the framework for change and measured improvement and ensure consistency in application to maximise effectiveness and customer-centric thinking.
Effectively communicate with project sponsors/owners, expectations, status and risks, ensure post-implementation benefits are realised.
Supports the Quality Assurance and Business Improvement Manager, in the development and shaping business culture using well proven methodologies and tools.
- Facilitation skills - open-minded approach, questioning, active listening and able to facilitate and moderate group sessions e.g., brainstorming and De Bono’s Thinking hats.
- Communication Skills - Strong presentation and influencing skills, comfortable communicating with audiences at all levels within the Organisation.
- Results Driven - Takes accountability for achieving exceptional business results and embedding a sense of urgency.
- Data Analysis – utilising propriety and bespoke software and business intelligence tools for conducting critical analysis and statistical analysis.
- The enforcement of safe systems of work
- Determining changes in hazard and risk as work practices develop
- Risk and COSHH assessments being carried out for all activities within their area, that suitable safe systems of work and training are developed, implemented, and documented
- Provision of safe equipment, safe working environment, protective equipment
- The effective communication, to employees under their management, of formal safety documentation e.g. Risk and COSHH assessments
- Housekeeping, cleanliness, and amenity facilities serving their areas of responsibility
- Monitoring safe working practices on a day-to-day basis
- Ensuring the ‘job is stopped’ if they believe there is a risk to themselves or anyone’s Health and Safety
- Ensuring safety equipment is inspected/replaced as required; that protective equipment is recorded and used in accordance with Manufacturer’s recommendations
- Securing the health and safety of all persons within their department.
- Ensuring that employees within their department are adequately informed, instructed, trained, and supervised to safely carry out work on which they are engaged.
- Disciplinary issues resulting from health and safety issues
- Adequate investigation of injury accidents, near misses and dangerous occurrences
- Working arrangements and the safety of agency/temporary/short term contract employees
- Identifying the need for and the seeking of specialist advice and support
Background & Experience:
Has a proven track record of change and process improvement in an engineering production business.
Has experience of introducing and embedding a Lean culture into a business and developing LEAN processes. An agent for change able to demonstrate how to introduce throughput balancing, inventory (WIP) smoothing; undertaking pull planning and have experience with the creation of Value Stream Maps.
- Put the Customer First - Think and act with a customer-centric mindset to deliver exceptional customer experiences.
- Own Results - Accountability for all you do.
- Find a Better Way Everyday - Be intellectually curious and embrace Practical Process Improvement (PPI)
- Comfortable with the use of A3 (or similar) Problem solving methodology
- Coach, mentor and advise team members and project leads in operational theory, problem-solving, root cause analysis and use of process improvement methodologies and tools.
- Facilitate/lead group sessions, e.g., LEAN simulation/gamification, project initiation/definition, brainstorming, affinity diagrams, value stream or process mapping, problem solving, root cause analysis and FMEA.
- Effectively communicate to stakeholders and Senior Leadership on progress on project or operational improvement activity.
- Share best practice and promote a culture of learning and inclusivity for all.
- A Certified Lean / Black Belt practitioner desirable.
- Certified Green Belt.
- Higher Engineering qualification
- Has worked in a shop floor environment.
- Strong analytic skills and knowledge of statistical techniques.
- Familiar with financial analysis, development of Project charters.
- Change management experience.
- Computer literate (Excel, PowerPoint, Visio).
- Ability to create effective approaches and assets to sell the LEAN approach.
- Excellent communication and persuasive skills.
- Objective and open-minded.
- Self-driven, autonomous, strong results orientation.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Proven ability to deliver change through a multi-skilled project team.
- Demonstrate strong behaviours of integrity, professionalism, and respect for others.
Wabtec Corporation is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that commitment we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles…people like you! Wabtec Corporation is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or protected Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.