Wabtec Corporation is a leading global provider of equipment, systems, digital solutions and value-added services for freight and transit rail. Drawing on nearly four centuries of collective experience across Wabtec, GE Transportation and Faiveley Transport, the company has unmatched digital expertise, technological innovation, and world-class manufacturing and services, enabling the digital-rail-and-transit ecosystems. Wabtec is focused on performance that drives progress, creating transportation solutions that move and improve the world. Wabtec has approximately 27,000 employees in facilities throughout the world. Visit the company’s new website at: http://www.WabtecCorp.com.
It’s not just about your career… or your job title…it’s about who you are and the impact you are going to make on the world. Do you want to go into uncharted waters…do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else's life better? Wabtec has been doing that for decades and we will continue to do so! Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, Wabtec delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
The System Engineer will play a key role in delivering Train Control solutions that meet customer needs and that can be delivered in a cost-effective way by determining the requirements of a project or program, and communicating them clearly too all stakeholders, facilitators and partners.
The System Engineer will work closely with program managers, customers, the software development team, and other internal stakeholders. Responsibilities include the elicitation, analysis, translation, and documentation of requirements for enhancement of Wabtec’s TMDS CAD system and associated tools and subsystems. In addition, this position will work on other product documentation requirements as required.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
- Act as a subject matter expert with regards to railroad operations, system engineering and design, and other development related activities which may include leading configuration and design reviews within a project team;
- Elicits customer’s functional specification requirements using interviews, document analysis, workshops, surveys, site visits, task and workflow analysis in highly complex environments;
- Analyze, translate and refine requirements using critical evaluation techniques, focus groups, meetings, negotiation, systems knowledge working them into system designs and lower level requirements;
- Develops/documents use cases, current or proposed processes, workflows, data flows, functional specifics, risk integration, and customer adoption plans;
- Communicates with project managers, application developers, subject matter experts, end users and customer’s executives;
- Suggests and sets priorities within the boundaries of group objectives and timelines, and demonstrates the ability to stay on schedule to meet commitments
- Takes active role in developing product-level documents such as product specifications, requirement specifications, white papers and use cases
- Takes active role in developing segment-level documents such as requirement specifications, interface control documents and data dictionaries
- Takes active role in developing and presenting design reviews to customers and government agencies
- Leads builder and customer technical discussions to clarify and adjust system specification requirements; participates in conference calls and meetings to review development status and issues
- Manages requirements and tracing in requirements management software
- Work independently or with a team to develop solutions that meet project requirements within the program schedule and budget constraints
- Supports system validation through reviews of validation test scripts, production test procedures, validation test plans, on-site builder/customer validation and technical support
- Make independent technical contributions in-support of program objectives, as well as interacting with other Wabtec engineers and customers
- BS/BA BSEE/BSCS/BSCE degree with preference given to engineering or software fields, relevant experience will be accepted in lieu of a degree.
- Excellent oral communication skills with demonstrated ability to articulate clearly and concisely,
- Excellent writing skills; must be able to produce clear and coherent written materials,
- Self-motivated with proven ability to work independently or in a team,
- Ability to develop credibility and strong positive relationships with customers, peers, and managers,
- Demonstrated understanding or ability to learn detailed technical and railway operations processes
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills,
- System and software requirements elicitation and documentation skills (requirement and design documents),
- Experience with business process analysis (current state, future state, gap analysis), requirements gathering and documentation around application/development projects,
- Demonstrated understanding of requirements management processes (techniques for analyzing, documenting, planning, verifying, testing and validating business requirements),
- Minimal travel requirement,
- Experience with railroad systems a plus.
Wabtec Corporation is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that commitment we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles…people like you! Wabtec Corporation is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or protected Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.