Wabtec Corporation is a leading global provider of equipment, systems, digital solutions and value-added services for freight and transit rail. Drawing on nearly four centuries of collective experience across Wabtec, GE Transportation and Faiveley Transport, the company has unmatched digital expertise, technological innovation, and world-class manufacturing and services, enabling the digital-rail-and-transit ecosystems. Wabtec is focused on performance that drives progress, creating transportation solutions that move and improve the world. Wabtec has approximately 27,000 employees in facilities throughout the world. Visit the company’s new website at: http://www.WabtecCorp.com.
It’s not just about your career… or your job title…it’s about who you are and the impact you are going to make on the world. Do you want to go into uncharted waters…do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else's life better? Wabtec has been doing that for decades and we will continue to do so! Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, Wabtec delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
Welders will be responsible for performing multiple tasks to support the fabrication of locomotive/mining components. In addition to welding, you will have responsibility for assembling components and other duties as assigned. Welders are responsible for working together as a team to improve manufacturing processes and promote a climate of cooperation.
Welder duties may include but is not limited to:
- FCAW, SMAW, and GMAW welding processes and procedures
- Welding with wire sizes ranging from .035 to 3/32 Solid and Flux Cored wire
- Welding in all positions: flat, horizontal, vertical and overhead positions
- Working with hot rolled plate, sheet, pipe and stainless steel
- Assembly work including but not limited to parts alignment such as seams and joints in fixtures to close fractional dimensions of 1/32" or less total tolerance and/or create bench setups.
- Finish by filling, grinding, sanding, straightening, heating, and shrinking components requiring filling, blending and contouring where adjacent surfaces do not provide the finished plane
- Test fabrications and welds for oil or air leaks, and pressure testing. Repairs to be made when failures occur
- Plasma cutting and air arc cutting operations
- The set up and running of simple welding operations
- Prying and setting heavy equipment
- The installation and/or connection of piping and associated plumbing components.
- The use of standard machine tools including, but not limited to drill press, band saw, lathe, spot welder etc., and a variety of hand, electric, and pneumatic tools.
- Paint applications including, but not limited to dry sanding, masking, unmasking, primer paint and touch up.
- The installation and/or connection of wiring harnesses and associated electronic components.
- Material transport requiring the use of but not limited to radio-controlled cranes, forklifts and tuggers.
- Work with all facility employees on improving manufacturing processes through prototyping, fabrication and experimental machining to develop and prove concepts and design and implement necessary fixtures and tooling for manufacturing improvements.
- Promote climate of cooperation; leading by example mentoring others in quality, safety, environmental, lean and high-performance work team philosophies.
- Basic assembly work
- Graduate of a welding program and have 1 year of welding experience OR 3 years of industrial/construction or similar professional welding experience.
- Starting pay rate is $29.30per hour (up to $31.33/hour after 1-year progression and $32.35/hr at 4 years of service) with additional night shift differential of $1/hr.
- 4-day (Monday through Thursday), 10-hour shift work week. Shift hours are 3:15PM - 1:45AM (2nd Shift). Must be able to work scheduled shift hours.
- $1,000* sign-on bonus after 60 days of employment
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- High-school diploma or GED or equivalent
- Must be willing to wear PPE such as a respirator, weld jackets, gloves, welder hoods, ear plugs, and proper eye protection
- Must be willing to work in a tobacco-free environment
- Be willing to take a drug test & submit to a background check as part of the selection process
- Be willing to submit to random drug tests
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job.
- Must be willing to work as necessary to meet requirements of the position, including the ability to work occasional weekends and scheduled overtime
- Pass a qualification based on AWS D1.1 weld qualifications
- Must be proficient in FCAW, SMAW, and GMAW welding processes and procedures
- Must have experience with wire sizes ranging from .035 to 3/32 solid and flux cored wire
- Must be able to perform welding in all positions: flat, horizontal, vertical and overhead positions
- Must be able to read simple to complex blue prints and manufacturing instructions in a sufficient manner to complete the assigned assembly tasks
- Must be able to complete some operations at heights up to 20 ft.
- Must be able to climb and complete some work on ladders
- Must be able to lift material up to 40 lbs.
- Must have ability to properly use and care for assigned tools and equipment
- Must be able to adhere to standards, do a quality job in a safe manner within an acceptable time
- Basic Computer Skills
- Every employee will be an in process inspector
- Pass qualifications based on AWS D15.1 weld standards
- Experience welding GTAW & SAW (submerged arcs)
- 3 years of experience of performing CJP welds
- 3 years of experience using 3/32” E70T-1C FCAW welding process
- Ability to consistently weld to enhanced Class 1 weld D14.3 standards (allowed discontinuities are reduced by 50% than Code Standards)
- Verifiable evidence that individual has consistently passed UT inspected welds using 3/32 E70T-1C FCAW
- Proficient in repairing Steel Castings using GTAW
- Ability for perform and interpret PT using a Wabtec specified quality standards document for Casting Standards
- Ability to repair casting using GTAW process and hand polishing on machined surfaces to a 125 Ra surface finish
- Employee must be employed at the time of the pay out
- Additional terms and conditions may apply
Wabtec Corporation is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that commitment we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles…people like you! Wabtec Corporation is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or protected Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.