Title: Senior Performance Engineer
Location: Sunnyvale, California
Team: Performance Engineering Team
Through the innovative fusion of retail, social and mobile, we are redefining Commerce for the largest retailer globally. We are a talented group of the brightest technologists and business people in the industry, excited about the limitless opportunities that this next generation of Commerce will bring to billions of people around the globe, all in an effort to help our customers save money and live better!
Our primary purpose is to make the end-to-end customer experience with Walmart Ecommerce as fast and compelling as possible and then some! Our team plays a key role in building a culture of engineering performant systems. Performance engineers at Walmart ensure that our mission-critical internal services and highly visible external multi-platform applications meet our customers’ expectations while keeping an ever-watchful eye on performance. We are responsible for the big picture of how all of our systems relate to each other. Intellectual curiosity, transparency and collaboration are the key to our success.
As a member of the Performance Engineering team, you will be expected to work independently or with your peers on reviewing the architecture, design, development and implementation of our ecommerce platform to address unique performance challenges. This includes collaborating cross-functionally across the company, working on commercial or in-house tools and evangelizing performance best practices and governance. Come up with better solutions and recommendations to make our products perform faster without compromising on quality.
BS degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Operations Research or other technical field.
5+ years’ experience in a performance engineering, capacity engineering or site reliability role for customer facing solutions preferably in ecommerce.
Experience in Performance testing, profiling, tuning and monitoring tools, especially testing tools such as Silk Performer, Apache JMeter, or LoadRunner.
Experience in coding/scripting languages such as Java, PHP, Python or Perl.
Experience with Databases (Relational and NoSQL) and/or caching solutions
Knowledge of technologies used in building scalable, distributed systems in virtualized cloud-like environments.
Solid DevOps skills in troubleshooting live applications, assessing performance bottlenecks of applications running on Linux.
Ability to successfully lead multiple projects while remaining highly technical.
Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
MS or PhD degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Operations Research or another technical field.
Experience in production system operations (logging, telemetry, alerting etc.).
Self-starter attitude required to experiment with new technologies, research technology trends and apply the results to performance problems
Basic familiarity with continuous integration tools and frameworks like Jenkins, etc.
Basic experience with Cassandra, KairosDB, Apache Solr, Apache Kafka, Apache Spark or Grafana and/or Big Data processing technologies.
Leads and participates in medium- to large-scale projects by reviewing project requirements; translating requirements into technical solutions;gathering requested information (for example, design documents, product requirements, wire frames); writing and developing code; conducting unit testing; communicating status and issues to team members and stakeholders; collaborating with project team and cross functional teams; troubleshooting open issues and bug-fixes; ensuring on-time delivery and hand-offs; interacting with project manager to provide input on project plan;and providing leadership to the project team.
Leads the work of other small groups of four to six engineers, including offshore associates, for assigned Engineering projects by proving pertinent documents, direction, and examples; identifying short and long term solutions and timeline; reviewing and providing feedback for proposed solutions;and performing design and code reviews of changes.
Troubleshoots business and production issues by gathering information (for example, issue, impact, criticality, possible root cause); engaging support teams to assist in the resolution of issues; formulating an action plan; performing actions as designated in the plan; interpreting the results to determine further action; performs root cause analysis to prevent future occurrence of issues; and completing online documentation.
Provides support to the business by responding to user's questions, concerns, and issues (for example, technical feasibility, implementation strategies); identifying short- and long-term solutions; facilitating resolutions; and leading cross-functional partnership.Leads the discovery phase of medium to large projects to come up with high level design by partnering with the product management, projectmanagement, business and user experience teams; and obtaining cross-function approvals.
Demonstrates up-to-date expertise and applies this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans by providing expert advice and guidance to others in the application of information and best practices; supporting and aligning efforts to meet customer and business needs; and building commitment for perspectives and rationales.
Provides and supports the implementation of business solutions by building relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders; identifying business needs; determining and carrying out necessary processes and practices; monitoring progress and results; recognizing and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; and adapting to competing demands, organizational changes, and new responsibilities.
Models compliance with company policies and procedures and supports company mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity by incorporating these into the development and implementation of business plans; using the Open Door Policy; and demonstrating and assisting others with how to apply these in executing business processes and practices.
Live our Values
• Models the Walmart values to foster our culture; holds oneself and others accountable; and supports Walmart’s commitment to communities, social justice, corporate social responsibility, and sustainability; maintains and promotes the highest standards of integrity, ethics and compliance.
• Acts as an altruistic servant leader and is consistently humble, self-aware, honest, and transparent.
Curiosity & Courage
• Demonstrates curiosity and a growth mindset; fosters an environment that supports learning, innovation, and intelligent risk-taking; and exhibits resilience in the face of setbacks.
Digital Transformation & Change
• Seeks and implements continuous improvements and encourages the team to leverage new digital tools and ways of working.
Deliver for the Customer
• Delivers expected business results while putting the customer first and consistently applying an omni-merchant mindset and the EDLP and EDLC business models to all plans.
• Adopts a holistic perspective that considers data, analytics, customer insights, and different parts of the business when making plans and shaping the team’s strategy.
Focus on our Associates
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
• Identifies, attracts, and retains diverse and inclusive team members; builds a high-performing team; embraces diversity in all its forms; and actively supports diversity goal programs.
Collaboration & Influence
• Builds strong and trusting relationships with team members and business partners; works collaboratively and cross-functionally to achieve objectives; and communicates with energy and positivity to motivate, influence, and inspire commitment and action.
• Creates a discipline and focus around developing talent, promotes an environment allowing everyone to bring their best selves to work, empowers associates and partners to act in the best interest of the customer and company, and regularly recognizes others’ contributions and accomplishments.
As permitted by applicable law, provide evidence of full vaccination as defined by CDC guidelines OR secure approval of medical or religious accommodation for the vaccination mandate., Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and 3 years’ experience in software engineering or related field OR 5 years’ experience in software
engineering or related field.
860 W CALIFORNIA AVENUE, SUNNYVALE, CA 94086-0000, United States of America