Walmart’s Digital Retail Services (DRS) group is responsible for enabling omni-services experience for customers that want to engage with us online, via the Walmart App or in-stores for custom services focusing on many aspects of their day-to-day life. Walmart is investing in transforming these spaces with latest technology and we are looking for talented individual who can use their engineering and leadership skills to help our teams solve complex problems. You will be part of the application development team in leading software implementation and design, solving, and reviewing products that enable self-service, mobile-first, bleeding edge technology that allows our associates to become faster and more efficient as they work with our customers.
The Principal Software Engineer leads and directs in large-scale, complex, cross-functional projects by reviewing project requirements; translating requirements into technical solutions; directing and reviewing design artifacts (for example, proof of concepts, prototypes); writing and developing code; overseeing software design; reviewing unit test cases; communicating status and issues to team members and stakeholders; directing project team and cross functional teams; enhancing design to prevent reoccurrences of defects; ensuring on-time delivery and hand-offs; interacting with project manager to provide input on project plan; and providing leadership to the project team.
Leads the work of cross-functional groups of ten to twenty engineers, including offshore associates, for assigned Engineering projects by providing pertinent documents, direction, and examples; identifying short and long term solutions and timeline; reviewing and approving proposed solutions; implementing new architectural patterns; and performing design and code reviews of changes.
Directs root cause analysis of critical business and production issues by reviewing and analyzing information (for example, issue, impact, criticality,
possible root cause); directing actions as designated in the plan; interpreting the results to determine further action; directing root cause analysis to
prevent future occurrence of issues; and reviewing and approving online documentation.
Supports business objectives by collaborating with business partners to identify opportunities and drive resolution; partnering with business to define
priorities; identifying short- and long-term solutions; and leading cross-functional partnership.
Leads the discovery phase of large projects to develop high level design by partnering with the Product Management, Web Operations, Project Management, Business and User Experience teams; obtaining cross-function approvals; driving proof-of-concept; and implementing prototypes to
Drives the execution of multiple business plans and projects by identifying customer and operational needs; developing and communicating business
plans and priorities; removing barriers and obstacles that impact performance; providing resources; identifying performance standards; measuring progress and adjusting performance accordingly; developing contingency plans; and demonstrating adaptability and supporting continuous learning.
This is a critical technical leadership position for a highly visible and impactful set of systems in one of the largest companies in the world.
• Lead team in designing across systems and applications
• Facilitate understanding
• Leads team projects by reviewing project requirements, translating requirements into technical solutions while gathering requested information
• Designing and developing backend microservices and REST APIs for mobile app and web applications using micro services architecture and JVM ecosystem and other languages and frameworks (Python, Go)
• Conduct unit testing and develop code with Java in a continuous delivery environment
• Troubleshoot open issues and bug-fixes
• Partner and collaborate with project team and cross functional teams
• Provide leadership to the project team
• Lead the discovery phase of projects to come up with high level design by partnering with the product management, project management, and business and user experience teams.
Manager's Ideal Candidate Must-Haves:
• 6+ years of industry experience working as a hands-on Backend Software Engineer
• Large scale distributed systems and event-driven architectures
• Practical knowledge of agile software development methodologies (e.g., XP, scrum)
• Experience with continuous delivery and infrastructure as code
• Specialization in Java and Spring Framework
• Proven understanding of micro-services oriented architecture and extensible REST APIs
• Understanding of SaaS, PaaS, IaaS industry with hands on experience with public or private cloud offerings (e.g., AWS, GAE, Azure)
• Fluency in database technology (SQL, NoSQL like DynamoDB or Cassandra)
You’re a problem solver
You’re experienced with micro services architecture
You have a great eye for detail and can articulate the specifics of quality design while enforcing engineering principles
You’re organized, disciplined, and can manage large project simultaneously
You have high standards for code quality and can hold contributors accountable
You’re stimulated by challenges and are ready to engage at Fortune 1 scale
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and 5 years’ experience in software engineering or related field OR 7 years’ experience in software
engineering or related field
Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 4 years' experience in software engineering or related field
10790 PARKRIDGE DR. SUITE 200, RESTON, VA 20191, United States of America