Why you should apply for a job with Walmart:
- 51%of reviewers say women and men are treated equally at Walmart.
What you'll do at
What you'll do...
Here at Walmart, we're driven by an intellectual curiosity that keeps us on the cutting-edge of technical excellence and a seamless customer experience. We're intrigued by the opportunity to engineer the most optimal approach that drives conversions and generates consumer loyalty across every touchpoint of the digital journey.
About the Team
The Catalog Data Science team is responsible for keeping Walmart's massive catalog data in high quality, and further enriching this data to help supplier onboarding, merchandise acquisition, inventory management, and shopper experience. We use cutting-edge technologies in software engineering, machine learning, deep learning, and analytics to tackle problems ranging from natural language understanding, image classification, and recommendation to outlier detection, visualization, and model serving. We write solid production code in Python, deploy and support model services and pipelines, and drive the limits in latency, throughput, scalability, and model performance. The work has high impact on business and user experience.
What you will do as a member of the team
- Translate business requirements to technical solutions in machine learning models, analysis, or software tools.
- Process complicated and large scale datasets using distributed computing platforms; extract insights from data.
- Lead and own projects or sub-projects. Communicate with product managers, data science and engineering teams to align progress and collaborate on system integrations.
- Productionize solutions (such as in the form of model servers or cron jobs); maintain and continuously improve the solutions; address production issues. Present on projects within team or beyond to boost knowledge sharing, visibility, and business impact.
- Write solid production code, mainly in Python. Master and help evolve the team's technical stack (centered on Python, cloud, ML/DL, Docker, Kubernetes); understand Walmart's product, data and pipeline systems.
- Participate in project and model discussions, code reviews. Assist the team on system, infrastructure, analytics, modeling, and other needs.
Required experiences and skills
- Master's degree in a technical field such as Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering, etc. obtained in or before 2018; or PhD degree obtained in or before 2020.
- 3+ years (with Masters' degree) or 1+ years (with PhD degree) programming-heavy work experience in a software engineering or data science team.
- Intermediate skills with Python programming, or good skills in other languages and basic skills in Python.
- Knowledge and experience in SQL and databases.
- Work experiences using traditional machine learning models such as classification, clustering, random forest, boosting, and ensemble to solve real-world problems.
- Practical experiences using Deep Learning models such as CNN, transfer learning to solve real-world text or image problems.
- Decent proficiency at major ML and DL libraries such as scikit-learn, pytorch, tensorflow, numpy.
- Experience going through the full lifecycle of a real-world modeling project from inception, problem definition, solution design, to implementation, production deployment, maintenance, and refactor.
- Experience using massive amounts of data, hence dealing with tools such as Hive, Spark, Kafka, Big Query, Elastic Search, Mongo, MySQL, data lake.
Preferred experiences and skills
- A disciplined approach to development, code review, testing, documentation, code structure, and version control with git.
- Experience with debugging, profiling, and efforts to improve code efficiency and scalability.
- Experience with Cloud technologies e.g. from AWS, Azure, and GCP (Google Cloud Platform).
- Familiarity with latest development and practice in ML and DL, including methodologies and software.
- Experience with distributed computing using tools such as Spark, Dask, Ray, Kubernetes, etc.
- Experience with data visualization using tools such as matplotlib, bokeh, plotly, altair, seaborn, etc. A good feel for making data plots clean and informative.
- Experience developing and using Restful APIs, model services.
- Experience with HTML, CSS, and basic web development.
Benefits & Perks
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas, and opinions while being inclusive of all people.
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That's what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We're a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world's largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service, or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Option 1- Bachelor's degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field and 3
years' experience in an analytics related field. Option 2- Master's degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science,
Information Technology, or related field and 1 years' experience in an analytics related field. Option 3 - 5 years' experience in an analytics or
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Data science, machine learning, optimization models, Master's degree in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Information Technology, Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, Successful completion of one or more assessments in Python, Spark, Scala, or R, Using open source frameworks (for example, scikit learn, tensorflow, torch)
860 W CALIFORNIA AVENUE, SUNNYVALE, CA 94086-0000, United States of America
At Walmart, we help people save money so they can live better. This mission serves as the foundation for every decision we make, from responsible sourcing to sustainabilityand everything in between. As a Walmart associate, you will play an integral role in shaping the future of retail, tech, merchandising, finance and hundreds of other industriesall while affecting the lives of millions of customers all over the world. Here, your work makes an impact every day. What are you waiting for?
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions while being inclusive of all people.
Need convincing? Let's review Walmart's best features:
- 51%of reviewers say women and men are treated equally at Walmart.