Why you should apply for a job with Walmart:
- 51%of reviewers say women and men are treated equally at Walmart.
- All eligible associates have affordable options that include no lifetime maximum and eligible preventive care covered at 100%.
- The enhanced maternity benefit supports birth moms with up to 10 weeks of protected paid time away from work.
- Associates can take advantage of Resources for Living, a free confidential counseling and health information service.
What you'll do...
Senior Data Scientist
Walmart is the largest retail corporation in the world and the Merchant Tech Data Science team is disrupting and revolutionizing the establishment by being more data driven in their analysis and integrating Machine Learning algorithms to get a more comprehensive understanding of details missed by humans. We extend our reach to 4000 stores across US for testing and deploying sophisticated models of all kinds for every facet or step during the retail supply chain lifecycle. The sophistication afforded by machine learning algorithms allows for more segmentation, which allows for more detailed and descriptive insights. In attempting this, we are also reshaping the attitude of the business towards adopting and trusting AI to be most impactful based on the amount of historical data and investment required.
There is a wide gamut of challenges, and the obstacles are numerous to shift the thinking between solving for customers' needs in physical stores versus e-commerce. The challenge of employing ML techniques in retail at such a wide scale, across varied categories of items, presents a great opportunity for creative solutions. The Catalog Data Science team tackles this task and its problems at multiple fronts.
The Catalog Data Science team is responsible for keeping Walmart's massive catalog data in high quality, and further enriching this data to help supplier onboarding, merchandise acquisition, inventory management, and shopper experience. We use cutting-edge technologies in software engineering, machine learning, deep learning, and analytics to tackle problems ranging from natural language understanding, image classification, and recommendation to outlier detection, visualization, and model serving. We write solid production code in Python, deploy and support model services and pipelines, and drive the limits in latency, throughput, and scalability. The work has high impact on business and user experience.
You'll really wow us if
- Your ability to rise above group think and see beyond the here and now is matched only by your intellectual curiosity.
- You consider yourself to be a student of the world who thrives in an ever-changing environment that holds within it new challenges and chances to prove your expertise.
- You level up when you have the opportunity to teach others and empower those around you to excel.
This role will be responsible for:
- Evaluate and enhance image in Walmart catalog
- Use computer vision techniques to create models for classification, segmentation, detection and image quality enhancement.
- Image type classification
- Image quality evaluation wrt. eCommerce usage
- Create image enhancement models
- Help envision, design, and implement supporting systems.
- Option 1- Bachelor's degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field and 3 years' experience in an analytics related field.
- Option 2- Master's degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field and 1 years' experience in an analytics related field.
- Option 3 - 5 years' experience in an analytics or related field.
- Successful completion of one or more assessments in Python, Spark, Scala, or R
- 4 - 6 years of experience using open-source frameworks (for example, scikit learn, tensorflow, torch)
- 4 - 6 years of experience in Data science, machine learning, deep learning, computer vision or image quality
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Master's or Doctoral degree in Computer Science (with a focus in Data Mining, Machine Learning and at least one of its disciplines, such as Natural Language Processing and Computer Vision), Statistics, Econometrics, Computational Neuroscience, Operational Research, Physics, or any other quantitative disciplines that require processing and modeling data at a large scale
- Proficient in Python, SQL, the associated Python packages commonly used by data scientists, and Deep Learning libraries, such as Tensorflow, Keras, and PyTorch
- Proficient in other languages, such as R, used in data science is a plus
- Strong understanding of and practical experience in a wide range of machine learning algorithms
- Good understanding of and practical experience with statistical modeling
- Practical experience of using cloud computing
- Experience working with large structured and unstructured datasets
- Working knowledge of relational and NOSQL databases
- Basic knowledge of data engineering is a plus
- Certificates earned in data mining, machine learning, deep learning, statistical modeling, cloud computing, and data engineering is a plus
- Interested in applying data science to solving retail-related problems
Strong verbal and written communication skills
Benefits & Perks
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions while being inclusive of all people.
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you'll quickly find we're a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world's most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you'll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life.careers.walmart.com
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That's what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We're a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world's largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We'll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Option 1- Bachelor's degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field and 3
years' experience in an analytics related field. Option 2- Master's degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science,
Information Technology, or related field and 1 years' experience in an analytics related field. Option 3 - 5 years' experience in an analytics or
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Data science, machine learning, optimization models, Master's degree in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Information Technology, Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, Successful completion of one or more assessments in Python, Spark, Scala, or R, Using open source frameworks (for example, scikit learn, tensorflow, torch)
860 W CALIFORNIA AVENUE, SUNNYVALE, CA 94086-0000, United States of America
Need convincing? Let's review Walmart's best features:
- 51%of reviewers say women and men are treated equally at Walmart.